John is a veteran Dublin journalist who has worked in senior editorial positions in national newspapers in Ireland for 40 years. He has been writing his weekly Ireland Calling column for the Irish Voice newspaper in New York since its foundation. The column now also appears on IrishCentral.
A graduate in Economics and Politics from Trinity College Dublin, John started his career in the early 1970s in the Irish Press, where he worked in News and Features and was Assistant Editor of the paper for over ten years. He joined the Irish Independent group in 1987 and worked in News and News Analysis and as an editorial writer. He also worked as Features Editor and Supplements Editor, developing new sections for the paper like the Weekend magazine and starting the educational supplements which are now a regular part of Irish newspapers.
Now semi-retired, in recent years he has been Literary Editor of the Irish Independent. When his now adult children ask him why he doesn't write books he points out that his weekly Irish Voice column has been running for 29 years and that adds up to a small library!
- 1 Traditional Irish Christmas gifts for the whole family
- 2 WATCH: Irish schoolgirl singing "Hallelujah" remains a sensation
- 3 Irish hardware store's Christmas commercial will leave you close to tears
- 4 The most important Irish American moments in history
- 5 WATCH: Shane McGowan and Sinéad O’Connor talk death and songwriting in 1995 interview
- 6 Send the gift of magic this Christmas from IrishCentral's Shop
- 7 The wild night Shane MacGowan and The Pogues played NYC for the first time
- 8 24 hours in the historic Co Fermanagh town of Enniskillen
- 9 Win 250K cash prize with Castleknock GAA's global Irish fundraiser