John is a veteran Dublin journalist who has worked in senior editorial positions in national newspapers in Ireland for 40 years. He has been writing his weekly Ireland Calling column for the Irish Voice newspaper in New York since its foundation. The column now also appears on IrishCentral.
A graduate in Economics and Politics from Trinity College Dublin, John started his career in the early 1970s in the Irish Press, where he worked in News and Features and was Assistant Editor of the paper for over ten years. He joined the Irish Independent group in 1987 and worked in News and News Analysis and as an editorial writer. He also worked as Features Editor and Supplements Editor, developing new sections for the paper like the Weekend magazine and starting the educational supplements which are now a regular part of Irish newspapers.
Now semi-retired, in recent years he has been Literary Editor of the Irish Independent. When his now adult children ask him why he doesn't write books he points out that his weekly Irish Voice column has been running for 29 years and that adds up to a small library!
- 1 CraicFest celebrates 26th birthday this March with stellar NYC lineup of events
- 2 This Caribbean island is the other Emerald Isle on St. Patrick’s Day
- 3 The deadly Irish American serial killer nurse Jolly Jane
- 4 Top ten Irish mob movies that lit up the screen
- 5 Top Irish lawyer in New York answers the most common questions he's asked
- 6 Ireland's "most successful" actors in 2024 revealed - the top one might surprise you!
- 7 WATCH: Irish dance lads go viral (again!) with their takes on Beyoncé's “Texas Hold Em”
- 8 Guinness Storehouse's fish pie recipe
- 9 Giant's Causeway named among most popular "bucket list" landmarks