Sinn Féin President Mary Lou McDonald and Vice President Michelle O'Neill have confirmed that, for the second year in a row, the party will not attend St. Patrick's Day events at the White House.
“Sinn Féin will not attend St. Patrick’s Day events at the White House this year," McDonald said on Monday.
The Dublin Central TD cited the "dire" situation in Gaza and the West Bank, adding: "The genocide continues."
She said: “Peace in Palestine must mean the end of occupation, the end of apartheid-like systems of control and the full realisation of a sovereign Palestinian state.
“The Good Friday Agreement has shown the world that it is possible to move out of conflict into a permanent peace. A better future for the people of Palestine and the people of Israel is possible. Peace is possible. Justice is possible.
“It is important that the eyes of the international community remain focused on what is happening in Palestine and it is important that Sinn Féin uses its voice to demand that international law is upheld and peace and justice prevail."
McDonald continued: “The ties between the people of Ireland and the United States are of key importance. Sinn Féin has deep and enduring bonds that go back decades with those in the United States who played a key role in the peace process and in the campaign for Irish reunification.
“Sinn Féin will continue that work with senior representatives on Capitol Hill, the trade union movement, business leaders, Irish American organisations, and the diaspora.”
I will not be attending St. Patrick’s Day events at the White House this year. The situation on the ground in Gaza and the West Bank remains dire. Israeli attacks on Gaza have not ended. The genocide continues.
It is important that Sinn Féin uses its voice to demand that…
— Mary Lou McDonald (@MaryLouMcDonald) February 16, 2026
In her own statement issued on social media, Michelle O'Neill, the First Minister of Northern Ireland, said: "I have taken the decision not to attend this year’s St. Patrick’s Day events at the White House due to the situation in the Gaza Strip and West Bank.
"I deeply value the historic relationship between Ireland and the United States, and I remain committed to working with U.S. figures to strengthen our peace and grow our economy.
"However, despite the hopes and promise offered by the ceasefire agreement in Gaza, horrific Israeli military attacks continue.
"I cannot and will not look away from systematic human rights abuses and flagrant breaches of international law by Israel. It is my responsibility as a political leader to stand firmly on the side of humanity."
I have taken the decision not to attend this year’s St. Patrick’s Day events at the White House due to the situation in the Gaza Strip and West Bank.
I deeply value the historic relationship between Ireland and the United States, and I remain committed to working with U.S.…
— Michelle O’Neill (@moneillsf) February 16, 2026
In recent years, during both the Trump and Biden administrations, Irish politicians have faced calls to boycott the St. Patrick's Day events in the US.
Two weeks ago, the Derry, Mid Ulster, and Inishowen branches of the Ireland Palestinian Solidarity Campaign (IPSC) launched an online petition, "No Shamrocks for Trump - Boycott the White House 2026," which has so far received more than 1,100 signatures.
Abroad, members of the Irish diaspora have issued a similar message in an open letter titled "The Diaspora Demands: No Shamrocks for Trump." The letter has so far received more than 400 signatures.
Despite this, Ireland's Taoiseach has yet to sit out the longstanding engagement. Taoiseach Micheál Martin confirmed on February 6 that he had received a formal invitation from US President Donald Trump to visit the White House on St. Patrick’s Day and that he would attend.
Comments