Now in rehab, Colin Farrell is among the most talented Irish actors of his generation. Here’s some tidbits you may not know about the Hollywood Dubliner.
Irish actor Colin Farrell has checked into rehab in Arizona at an exclusive treatment center that runs $36,000 a month. Here’s hoping the well-liked Irish star beats the demons that led him to rehab.
Meanwhile, here’s seven things you need to know about him.
- He once tried out for Irish boy band Boyzone but, fortunately, never got the job.
- His dad Eamon and uncle Tommy were well-known semi-professional soccer players with the famed Shamrock Rovers team, in Ireland.
- He has never been married… or has he?
Farrell met English actress and singer Amelia Warner at the premiere of the movie “Quills”, in 2000. They dated from July to November 2001. There was speculation that they married. Speaking about the experience, the actor commented "Too fast, too young."
However, in December 2011, Warner told The Sun that the marriage was never legal. "We had a ceremony on a beach in Tahiti that was by no means legal and we knew it wasn't, said Warner.
“It was just a thing we did on holiday. We went shark feeding and then we did that. We booked them both on the activities desk at the hotel.”
Farrell has a tattoo of Amelia's name around his ring finger.
- Always a ladies man, Farrell has been linked to some beautiful women. Among them are Angelina Jolie, Britney Spears, Demi Moore, model Josie Maran (who he accused of making a sex tape), and Playboy cover girl Nicole Narain.
- He hates green beer and shamrockery around St. Patrick's Day.
He told Late Night host Jimmy Kimmel green beer was not an Irish invention. When the late-night TV host brought up St Patrick’s Day, Farrell said “he had never heard of green beer before he came to America.”
The actor laughed “Who wants to drink green beer?”
- He had his very own stalker. On 20 July 2006, as Farrell was being interviewed by Jay Leno on The Tonight Show, telephone sex worker Dessarae Bradford evaded security, walked on stage, confronted Farrell, and threw a self-published book-length exposé of Farrell on Leno's desk.
As Farrell escorted her off the stage and handed her over to NBC security, she shouted "I'll see you in court!" She never produced an ounce of evidence. Farrell obtained a restraining order against her.
- He has acted in 45 films from major blockbusters to independent films. Most critics regard his performance in “In Bruges” as his best role so far.
Hopefully, after rehab he can reach new heights.