Everything you need to know about the Irish surname O'Sullivan
Irish derivation: Ó Súilleabháin.
Name meaning: "Descendant of the hawk/dark eyed one."
Coat of arms motto: The steady hand to victory.
- The term “Manifest Destiny” was coined by a journalist named O’Sullivan, who supported the expansion of the United States into the western territories.
- The father of the skyscraper was a Sullivan who also originated the famous architectural axiom "form follows function."
- The great Chicago Fire of 1871 was started by a Sullivan.
- The first tank ever acquired by the state of Israel was a gift from an O'Sullivan.
- The first heavyweight boxing champion of the world was a Sullivan.
- The man hit by the most lightning strikes was a Sullivan.
- First American woman ever to walk in space was a Sullivan.
Some famous O'Sullivan’s:
- Maureen O'Sullivan (1911-1998, Irish born actress)
- Denis O'Sullivan (b.1948, Irish golfer)
- John Francis O'Sullivan (1850-1911, Irish-American awarded the medal of honor during the Indian Wars)
- Ed Sullivan (1901-1974, American television personality)
- Anne Sullivan (1866-1936, Teacher of Helen Keller)
Do you know any O'Sullivans? Let us know in the comments!