Sinéad O'Connor turns 52 today, December 8, 2018. Here are some top facts and songs from her to celebrate her birthday.
Happy birthday to one of Ireland's greatest singers, Sinéad O'Connor. It just 52 short years, O'Connor has achieved an incredible amount and despite her ups and downs, her music continues to entertain.
In celebration of the birthday of the "Nothing Compares to You" singer, here are some top facts and songs from her.
1. Sinéad O'Connor has been married four times, with her latest nuptials to Irish therapist Barry Herridge lasting a mere 16 days.
2. She is the third of four children of an engineer father and a dressmaker mother.
3. The 52-year-old was ordained as a priest by a Roman Catholic splinter group called the Latin Tridentine Church, taking the clerical name Mother Bernadette Maria. Earlier in 2018, however, she converted to Islam.
4. She was chosen by People magazine as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the world in 1991.
5. In 1992, she famously ripped up a photo of the then Pope John Paul II on "Saturday Night Live" saying, "Fight the real enemy."
6. O'Connor was cast as the Virgin Mary in Neil Jordon's 1997 drama, “The Butcher Boy.”
7. She achieved international success in 1990 with her cover of Prince’s “Nothing Compares to You.”
8. She has four children from various relationships.
9. The Dubliner admitted on The Oprah Winfrey Show in 2007 that she had been diagnosed as bipolar and that she had attempted suicide on her 33rd birthday.
Happy birthday, Sinéad!
*Originally published in 2011.