While Ireland has let us down yet again in not making it to the World Cup, that doesn’t mean you can’t have fun at an Irish pub while rooting your country on!
Here are some of the best pubs for soccer fans in New York who aren’t just looking to watch the games, but are in it for the sheer craic of it.
- Lansdowne Road, Hell’s Kitchen: Named after the famous rugby stadium in Dublin, this pub has it all for a proper lads World Cup outing. It has 12 flat-screen TVs, 14 beers on tap, and the usual pub grub that everyone loves like burgers and fries. Soccer fans will love it since there’s classic soccer memorabilia all over the place for fans to appreciate.
- Sláinte, East Village: Meaning ‘cheers’ in Irish, it’s only right that it’ll be some craic to join your friends to see the old game of footie. With 24 beers in total on tap and a bunch of flat-screens throughout the place, you could hardly miss the game in there. However, the piece de resistance is a big projector screen that will show the big games.
- McHale’s Pub, Midtown: In the heart of Midtown, Manhattan, there’s no doubt this place is a soccer hub. It has two floors full of TVs and has plenty of space for the influx of footie fans from all over town. It even acts as a base for many New York supporter clubs and occasionally hosts world-famous FIFA players and local New York players during live soccer events.
- The Soccer Tavern, Sunset Park, Brooklyn: Located in Brooklyn’s Chinatown area, if this Irish pub’s name doesn’t persuade you already, don’t worry; this place has soccer fans covered. While it’s not like the elaborate, big-time Manhattan pubs, it has a nostalgic feel to what pubs used to be like back in the day. There’s four TVs in total and has plenty of soccer decorations all over to make fans to get in the spirit of the game.
- The Playwright Irish Pub, Midtown: This old-world themed pub is perfect for world cup fans and those who simply appreciate a really cool-looking joint. Every inch of the place is covered in huge flat screen TVs so it’s physically impossible to miss the World Cup there even if you tried. With friendly Irish hospitality and great food, this place will make soccer fans delighted.
- The Irish Pub, Midtown: This aptly-named bar and restaurant boasts a great Irish pub atmosphere and is a great spot to watch any soccer game since there are plenty of TVs to go around. It not only offers a great vibe but has good pub grub to enjoy while rooting your team on.
- Pig & Whistle on 3rd: One of many Pig & Whistle locations in NYC, this one on 3rd ave, in particular, has a great space and greater music. I don't think it would get much better than having their amazing shepherd's pie while watching your favorite team.
Do you have other great pubs in mind? Let us know!