Deliciously decadent these sweet, salty, chocolatey, caramels go perfectly with a cup of coffee
Total Time: 1hr - 1hr 30mins
For the base:
- 200g plain flour
- 110 caster sugar
- 110g butter or margarine, melted
Read more: The perfect Irish Halloween barmbrack recipe
For the filling:
- 110g butter
- 110g brown sugar
- 1 tin condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
For the topping:
- 175g dark chocolate, melted
- Sea salt flakes
Read more: Orange and honey layered cake recipe
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC/gas mark 3. Grease and line a 28cm x 18cm tin with parchment paper, ensuring that the full tin is covered, ie. base and sides.
- Mix together the flour, sugar and melted butter and press this mixture into the lined traybake tin. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 10 minutes until just set.
- Meanwhile combine the butter, sugar, condensed milk and golden syrup into a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a gentle boil over a low heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes, whisking continuously, ensuring that the mixture is bubbling. Pour this onto the biscuit base and return to the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool down completely at this stage.
- Once sufficiently cool, spread with the melted dark chocolate. Once set, cut into squares, sprinkle them with the sea salt crystals and try not to eat more than one with each cup of coffee!