When it comes to satisfying our sweet tooth, few treats can match the irresistible combination of sea-salt caramel squares.
These delectable confections bring together the rich, buttery sweetness of caramel with a hint of savory sea salt, creating a flavor profile that tantalizes the taste buds and leaves a lasting impression. Whether enjoyed as a standalone treat or incorporated into other desserts, sea-salt caramel squares are a true delight for dessert enthusiasts.
Sea-salt caramel squares are a heavenly combination of sweetness and saltiness, creating a flavor experience that is hard to resist. Whether enjoyed on their own or used to elevate other desserts, these squares offer a luxurious treat for all. So, the next time you're craving something indulgent, reach for a sea-salt caramel square and let your taste buds be swept away by its irresistible allure.
Sea-salt caramel squares
Tip: If you can resist, these will keep for several days in an airtight container.
Time: 1hr - 1hr 30mins
For the base:
- 200g plain flour
- 110 caster sugar
- 110g butter or margarine, melted
For the filling:
- 110g butter
- 110g brown sugar
- 1 tin condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
For the topping:
- 175g dark chocolate, melted
- Sea salt flakes
- Preheat the oven to 170ºC/gas mark 3. Grease and line a 28cm x 18cm tin with parchment paper, ensuring that the full tin is covered, ie. base and sides.
- Mix together the flour, sugar and melted butter and press this mixture into the lined traybake tin. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 10 minutes until just set.
- Meanwhile combine the butter, sugar, condensed milk and golden syrup in a medium-sized saucepan and bring to a gentle boil over a low heat. Cook for 3-4 minutes, whisking continuously, ensuring that the mixture is bubbling. Pour this onto the biscuit base and return to the oven and cook for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool down completely at this stage.
* Originally published in 2019, updated in June 2023.