Tyrone Back on Winning Trail

Tyrone 3-9  Kerry 2-9

TYRONE returned to the winning ranks with a hard fought senior football win over a determined Kerry side that made them work all the way. The introduction of Jason Killeen in the second half helped to change the flow in the center, while five of their six forwards all hit the mark.
Kerry was over reliant on Barry John Walsh and CJ Molloy for scores which hurt.

From the opening throw in the game was extremely tight, with the lead changing hands four times in the opening 20 minutes. There were low scoring minutes, but certainly the intensity from each side after losses a week ago was very evident.

Niall Farrell had the opening score for Tyrone, but it was immediately cancelled out by a goal from a penalty for Kerry. That resulted after Sean Reilly was fouled in possession and Walsh drove the ball to the net expertly.

The lead was short lived. Almost immediately Tyrone replied.

Mickey Coleman won the ball in the middle and he worked it forward to Sean Armstrong. The Galway senior flicked the laithroid to an inrushing Farrell who buried it in the net.

The sides swapped points before Kerry put three in a row on the board. Molloy had two while Vinnie Gavin had the third. It had the Kingdom back in front 1-4 to 1-2.

Tyrone again used the net shaker as a device to regain the advantage. They had a point from Farrell again. Armstrong was again the assister before Mickey Sloan had a goal at the end of another very good move.
It arrived with five minutes left on the clock, with Donal Hartnett and Armstrong linking up to set Sloan free and he flicked to the net from close range.

Kerry did have the last score of the half, a Gavin point at the buzzer to leave the minimum between the sides 2-3 to 1-5 at the break.

Kerry was level within a minute when Walsh had a point, but Niall Cunningham cancelled it out with a point at the other end.

Kerry then had a huge break. Mike Jim Fitzgerald won the ball in the middle and he launched it forward to Molloy. The young Irish American had a lot of work to do, but he advanced and put the ball in the back of the net.

The game again was turned around as Tyrone had the next three scores, with the last a huge drive from the introduced Killeen. This pushed the side ahead 2-7 to 2-6.

The Kingdom was not finished yet, however. They had three of the next four scores as the lead changes continued. Walsh had a pair while Molloy did well to fist over when he seemed to be fouled not once but twice.

With five minutes left and a point in front Kerry let their guard down. Cunningham had a free for Tyrone which was followed by a goal that could have or should have been defended a lot better.
Pressure by the Tyrone forwards created a turnover in the middle of the field. Farrell got the ball and drove a long ball in the direction of Armstrong. Two defenders had chances to get in his way but none did. And Armstrong flicked the ball to the net in front of Shane Clifford.

It was the winner as Kerry’s last chance at a tying score was negated by a free out in front of the Tyrone goal.

Tyrone had good displays at the back by Steve Keating and Brendan McGourty, who was playing back to back games after staring in the hurling with Offaly. Jason Killeen was excellent off the bench and his point was huge. Niall Cunningham, Niall Farrell and Sean Armstrong were all excellent, with Farrell very dangerous.

For Kerry, Dermot Lyng, who was also in his second game, Alan Lyne, who was very active when he replaced the injured Eoghan O’Mahoney, Vinnie Gavin, who carried the ball well, and CJ Molloy, who dominated when given quality ball, all excelled in passages. Barry John Walsh has still to show us his full potential, but this was certainly a better display.

Tyrone: 1 Damien Corrigan, 2 Paul Mulhern, 3 Aiden Power, 4 Declan Garvey, 5 Steve Keating, 6 Brendan McGourty, 7 Seamus Skeffington, 8 Conor McNabb, 9 Mickey Coleman, 10 Niall Cunningham (0-3), 11 Mickey Sloan (1-0), 12 Ciaran Campbell, 13 Niall Farrell (1-2), 14 Sean Armstrong (1-2), 15 Donal Hartnett (0-1). Subs: Jason Killeen (0-1), Conor Skeffington.

Kerry: 1 Shane Clifford, 2 Darren Courtney, 3 Kieran Quirke, 4 Niall Corbett, 5 Dermot Lyng, 6 Eoghan O’Mahoney, 7 Jonathon Lynne, 8 Mike Jim Fitzgerald, 9 Ambrose O’Donovan, 10 Vinnie Gavin (0-2), 11 Barry John Walsh (1-4), 12 Ross Donovan, 13 Alan O’Donaghue, 14 CJ Molloy (1-3), 15 Sean Reilly. Subs: Alan Lyne, Conor Ryan.

Man of the match: Niall Farrell (Tyrone).

Referee: Sean Jones.

Crossbar Saves Cork

Cork 1-12  Leitrim 1-10

WITH the buzzer about to sound in this enthralling senior football contest, Leitrim had one last chance to get the win.

They worked the ball forward and Johnny Goldrick cracked a bullet off the crossbar. The rebound dropped to Tommy Nolan and he drove the ball to the net.

Alas from a Leitrim standpoint the Gaelic Park buzzer had sounded and the sighs of relief could be heard all the way from Skibbereen to Midleton. It was a thrilling game, with both sides having periods of dominance.

It was the closing salvo when Cork scored six of the last eight points that got Cork the win despite the last minute Leitrim attempt for victory. 

The first half had two very contrasting periods.  It opened with Cork scoring the first 1-3 of the game, with Mark Cronin getting the major when he flew down the right side, avoided a tackle and crashed the ball to the back of the net.

Two of the points came from Jason Kelly as he started very strong. It was 10 minutes in before Leitrim had their first score, a Tommy Freeman point when Dan Doona picked him out.

It was the beginning of a period of Leitrim dominance, at least on the scoreboard. They had a goal that came from a strong run down the left by Adrian O’Connor. He flicked to brother Kenny on the 10 yard line who then passed on to Doona. The former Kerry underage star had the easy task of rattling the net.

Johnny O’Sullivan had a point at the other end, but Leitrim countered with a further three points to get level on 23 minutes, 1-4 to 1-4.

Cork was able to get the last score of the half when Vinnie Lehane shot over, but at the break it was all to play for.

Leitrim had chances to immediately get back on terms and then in front as the second half opened. They had four wides, however, in as many minutes, and it took them until the ninth for them to draw level. They did when Freeman fired over.

He followed it with his fourth of the game, before sub Cathal Matthews put them in front 1-0 to 1-6.
The game continued in waves as Cork again came back into it. They had four of the next five points as they again went in front.

Gary Lowney had a towering drive from the left side at the Foley Wall, while Brian Kelleher, who was doing very well off the bench, had another.

With 10 minutes left on the clock Freeman had the equalizer again, a free when Cork was over zealous in the tackle on the left wing.

It was all to play for now. Kelly pointed a free when Lehane was fouled, then Kelleher picked up the ball after good tackling by the forward line and drove between the posts for a two point Cork lead with time winding down.

Freeman pulled it back to one with a brilliant score when Adrian O’Connor was involved before Lehane again put two between the sides with a minute left on the clock.

Leitrim worked the ball out from the back, but it was intercepted at the Cork 45 by Derek Courtney. He drove the ball into the Leitrim half where it went out for a Leitrim sideline.

The reigning county champions worked the ball into the right corner where Goldrick secured possession. His thunderbolt came back off the woodwork and the rest was history.

Cork will be delighted with the win as it propels them up the senior table. Add Alan Raftery and Rory Stafford to this mix and they will be a serious challenger in September.

John McLoughlin was excellent on Tommy Freeman. The former all-star got six points from play and mostly frees, but Lockers was excellent.

Liam Hanley was also very efficient beside him at full back, while Colin Lynch did nothing wrong at number six. His day did get easier when Pat Madden went off with a nasty finger injury; we wish him a speedy recovery.

Gary Lowney won a lot of good possession. Mark Cronin is a serious talent. He just touched the surface in this one with 1-1. Vinnie Lehane and Brian Kelleher off the bench, who was very active, were others to excel.

Paudge O’Connor and Alan O’Sullivan had some very positive moments for Leitrim. Adrian O’Connor when he was carrying the ball put Cork back on their heels. He set up the goal and also scored a point.

Dermot Keane did a good job on Jason Kelly, while Tommy Nolan did very well as an impact sub.
Leitrim: 1 Pa Ryan, 2 John Goldrick, 3 Paudge O’Connor, 4 Kevin O’Brien, 5 Kieran Scannell, 6 Alan O’Sullivan (0-1), 7 Ryan Sullivan, 8 Adrian O’Connor (0-1), 9 Dermot Keane, 10 Kieran Tavey, 11 Pat Madden, 12 Paul Greville, 13 Dan Doona (1-0), 14 Kenny O’Connor (0-1), 15 Tommy Freeman (0-6). Subs: Tommy Nolan, Cathal Mathews (0-1), Mike Creegan, Jeff Farrell.

Cork: 1 Darren O’Mahoney, 2 John McLoughlin, 3 Liam Hanley, 4 Paddy Harrington, 5 Derek Courtney, 6  Colin Lynch, 7 John Fitzpatrick, 8 Gary Lowney (0-1), 9 Jason Kelly (0-3), 10 Mark Cronin (1-1), 11 Ian Rowland, 12 Francie Cleary, 13 Vinnie Lehane (0-4), 14 Johnny O’Sullivan, 15 Frank Cloone. Subs: Pat Mahoney, Brian Kelleher (0-2), Mike Travers.

Man of the match: John McLoughlin (Cork).

Referee: John Fitzpatrick.

Jordon, Clarke Lead Cavan

Cavan 5-16 Fermanagh 2-9

CAVAN are through to the Ladies football final where they will face Na Fianna on July 31 after a win that was built on a brilliant first half performance. They went into the break with a 4-7 to 0-3 advantage and never looked back.

Emma Clarke and Alisha Jordon were the scoring stars with a combined 1-9, but it was a tenacious defensive effort particularly in the opening 30 minutes that was the foundation for the win.
The game opened with a Cavan goal within 30 seconds. Linda McKeon worked the ball into the forward line where Caitlin Hynes won possession. The wing forward came across the goal from the left side and sent a screamer from 30 yards to the roof of the net.

It was followed by a Clarke point before Fermanagh had their first score from Aislinn Gormley.
It was all Cavan in the next 12 minutes. They added 2-6 to their total, with Clarke getting the first goal and Linda McKeon returning a kickout for the second.

Caroline McArdle stopped a third major from Jordon and also denied Theresa Marron with another save. Caroline Murphy and Loretta Cunningham sandwiched a Jordon point with scores of their own but as the half wound down, Clarke was fouled for a penalty and McKeon had her second major of the half.

Nicola King and Marron added to the total as the second half opened before Fermanagh were thrown a lifeline. Emer Tally had a point and Nora Kilkenny was called on to make a brilliant save from the same player.

Joanna Levine did grab Fermanagh’s first goal eight minutes in and when Murphy had a free for a score. It left the scoreline at 4-9 to 1-5.

Three consecutive Jordon points put paid to the first Fermanagh resurgence. They followed with their second and final one between the 15th and 22nd minutes, getting 1-3 without reply with Levine getting her second goal.

This surge had the side back within seven, but King grabbed a rebound for a Cavan goal to extend the distance between the sides before Marron and Kelly Donaghue off the bench concluded the scoring.

For Cavan, Nora Kilkenny was excellent. Caroline McBrian, Aoife O’Rourke and Paula Lally were others to standout at the back.

Linda McKeon had an important 2-1, while Alisha Jordon, Therese Marron Emma Clarke and Nicola King were tremendous up front.

Fermanagh had very good displays from Caroline McArdle, Caroline Murphy, Joanne Levine and Emer Tally.

Cavan: 1 Nora Kilkenny, 2 Caroline McBrien, 3 Ashley Callery, 4 Bridget Mulligan, 5 Paula Lally, 6 Aoife O’Rourke, 7 Katie McEvoy, 8 Linda McKeon (2-1), 9 Mary Maguire, 10 Alisha Jordon (0-5), 11 Therese Marron (0-2), 12 Caitlin Hynes (1-0), 13 Nicola King (1-1), 14 Emma Clarke (1-4), 15 Rosie O’Reilly Broderick. Subs: Kelly Donaghue (0-1), Shauna Coyne, Katie Kilkenny, Catherina Rafferty. 
Fermanagh: 1 Caroline McArdle, 2 Noleen Fitzpatrick, 3 Tracy Ann McCullough, 4 Michaela Newell, 5 Josephine McGinn, 6 Roisin Toner, 7 Joanna Levine (2-0), 8 Clare McElroy, 9 Maebh DeBurca, 10 Caroline Murphy (0-5), 11 Caitlin Slattery, 12 Aislinn Gormley (0-2), 13 Emer Tally (0-1), 14 Ann Marie Kelly, 15 Loretta Cunningham (0-1).

Player of the game: Alisha Jordon (Cavan).

Referee: Dean O’Connor.

Na Fianna Back in Final

Na Fianna 4-16 Kerry/Donegal 0-13

NA Fianna is back in the Ladies county final after a comprehensive victory over Kerry/Donegal on Sunday.

It was a game of two halves as the first was extremely close before the winners completely dominated the second for the 15 point win. Ahead by three at the break, they kept K/D off the scoreboard for the first 20 minutes of the second half as they added 2-6 to their total.  

From the opening bell the first half was a close contest. Na Fianna had the first two points from a Deirdre Doherty free and an Orlagh Egan score from play, but Elish Ward replied with a free at the other end when Denise Dunnion was fouled.

Na Fianna did have the next three points with two coming from play off the boots of Doherty and Egan, but K/D had five of the next seven scores as they fought back to within one, 0-7 to 0-6.

They were using the kick pass to great effect, and the first point in the scoring spree came from a move that involved four of those before Denise Dunnion fired over. A brilliant score.

K/D also had a real chance at a goal, but Alison Leydon made a full length save on a low shot by Niamh Cunningham.

Nineteen minutes in the first goal of the game arrived. It came for Na Fianna when a long ball from Aine Dwyer found Molly O’Rourke. She flicked at an opportune time to Selena Moylan, who made no mistake.

Egan followed with a point from play to extend the advantage to 1-8 to 0-6. Again, however, K/D responded in brilliant form.

Dunnion sandwiched with two points a driving shot at goal by Ward that the defense smothered. Catherina Brady followed with a point from play that narrowed the gap to two with a minute left to the break.

O’Rourke did reply with a nice score at the other end, but it left just a score between the sides with a half of football to play.

Na Fianna had two points in the first two minutes of the second half, and it was a sign of what was to come. Five minutes later the flood gates opened.

A goal by Dwyer was followed by a further 1-3 without reply. The route was on.

When Louise Lilly was sin binned for 10 minutes for an overzealous challenge on 12 minutes any hope that K/D had for a revival was gone. After a Dwyer point from play with 20 minutes gone, K/D finally added to their total. It came when Ward shot over and was immediately followed by a Dunnion score.

They burst was quickly negated when O’Rourke had the fourth Na Fianna goal with seven minutes left. Both sides had points as the game came to its end, with Amanda McGovern getting the final score of the game.

The winners had a host of stars. Alison Leydon made a couple of important saves when the game was still up for grabs. Imelda Mullarkey, Jesse Garcia (second half), Cathriona Lynch and Karen Henry off the bench all helped to shut K/D down. Aine Dwyer, Molly O’Rourke and Orlagh Egan were all excellent.

K/D was right there at the half, but then things went awry. Deirdre Maher made a couple of good stops. Louise Lilly started brightly, Deirdre Foley had a good opening half while Elish Ward and Denise Dunnion were excellent up front when given the ball.

Na Fianna: 1 Alison Leydon, 2 Imelda Mullarkey, 3 Jesse Garcia, 4 Stephanie Tierney, 5 Cathriona Lynch, 6 Joanna Monaghan, 7 Sharon Spillane, 8 Michelle Brennan, 9 Aine Dwyer (1-3), 10 Brianna Tierney, 11 Deirdre Doherty (0-2), 12 Aine Gormley, 13 Selena Moylan (1-0), 14 Molly O’Rourke (1-5), 15 Orlagh Egan (1-6). Subs: Karen Henry, Joanne McKenna, Kelly McCormack, Mary O’Rourke.

Kerry/Donegal: 1 Deirdre Maher, 2 Una Burke, 3 Louise Lilly, 4 Cathleen Enright, 5 Niamh Britton, 6 Michelle McVann, 7 Deirdre Foley, 8 Kelly Roche, 9 Catherina Brady (0-1), 10 Anita McKenna, 11 Elish Ward (0-5), 12 Amanda McGovern (0-1),13 Denise Dunnion (0-6), 14 Niamh Cunningham, 15 Noelle Brophy.

Player of the game: Orlagh Egan (Na Fianna).

Referee: Frank Brady.

Jersey Boys Make Final

Hoboken 4-7  Shannon Gaels 2-8

THE junior hurling championship is reaching its final stages with the two semifinals taking place last Saturday.

In the second game of the evening the Bronx and Rockland played to a thrilling draw, and are set for a replay this Saturday the 23rd at 5 p.m. at Gaelic Park. 

Hoboken is in the final courtesy of a five-point win over a gallant Shannon Gaels side that pushed them all the way. As the old story goes, goals will kill you in championship hurling, and it was a trifecta by Caleb O’Hare that put an end to the Gaels challenge

The game between Hoboken and Gaels opened with the Jersey boys getting the opening score after four minutes from a Fintan Meehan free when O’Hare was fouled.

It was short-lived as Finbarr Flood had the equalizer two minutes later from a free when Ronan Sheedy was pulled down. Meehan and Flood again swapped scores in the next five minutes; this time the Gaels forward was razor sharp from play when Graeme McGuire found him open.

When Pa Ryan drove a long free over the lathe shortly after the Queens lads had the lead for the first time. It lasted for a period before O’Hare was released for the first of his three goals. He received the ball on the 30-yard line, burst through and gave the Gaels keeper no chance with his rasping shot.

Shannon Gaels did have a brilliant point in reply. James McCarthy drove long with the puck out and Padraig Kyne went airborne to pull the ball from the clouds. He flicked inside to the waiting Flood who drilled the ball over the lathe for a brilliant score.

The answer this time from Hoboken was clinical, back to back majors from O’Hare, both with devastating panache to give his side a 3-2 to 0-4 lead.

Another team would have succumbed, but not the Gaels on this evening.  Meehan and Flood traded scores, a point from play and a free respectively, before the Limerick native brought Shannon Gaels right back into the game. He linked up with Ryan and Steve Bruton and fired the ball to the back of the net for an excellent goal to narrow the gap as the buzzer sounded to 3-2 to 1-5.

Meehan and David Costigan opened the scoring in the second half with a goal and a point each for the winners as they looked to put a choke hold on the contest.

Ryan did have a free in reply, but the Jersey club had three of the next four points with Costigan again adding to his and the side’s total with a running point.

The supply to the inside line was slowing down, however, with Sean Brennan and Eoghan Kyne doing a lot of good work for the Queens defense to negate chances.

With 17 minutes gone Ryan converted a penalty for Shannon to again narrow the gap to six at 2-7 to 4-7. The only other score that arrived was a Finbarr Flood from play.

A number of drives were dropped into the Hoboken defensive end, but excellent play by Cathal Flynn, Kieran Dowling and Colm Reilly kept breathing room between the sides.

Hoboken has had a very successful season thus far. They will be favorites for the junior title both on their regular season form and this win.
Reilly is a very confident keeper. Dowling, Gunner and Gavin O’Hanlon all did well at the back. David Costigan is a dangerous forward, while Caleb O’Hare burst the game open with his hat-trick.
Fintan Meehan had a very quiet game by his standards as he was well marshaled by young Irish American Eoghan Kyne. Such was his frustration he received a yellow for a pull across the young defender.

Shannon Gaels went out with their heads held high. They lost John Kennedy and Rory McCluskey to injury but were still right there.

James McCarthy could do little with the goals and his puck outs were very good.  Eoghan Kyne was outstanding as was Sean Brennan, who did a huge amount of work. Pa Ryan contributed 1-3 and was a huge factor in open play.

Finbarr Flood had a brilliant first half, while Steve Bruton and Padraig Kyne also had valuable parts to play.

The Queens hurling club is holding a poker classic this Saturday to help defray costs that occurred due to a number of injuries to players over the course of the season.

The classic will take place at the Dugout Bar on 61st Street in Woodside between Woodside and Roosevelt Avenues. It will begin at 8 p.m. sharp with a $100 entry.

Raffle tickets are also available, and player of the year and players’ player of the year will also be announced on the night. Call Eugene Kyne at 646-483-9732. 

Hoboken: 1 Colm Reilly, 2 Cathal Flynn, 4 Dan Guiner, 5 Gavin O’Hanlon, 6 Kieran Dowling, 7 David Cosgrove, 8 Darren Coffey, 9 Simon Birkenson, 10 David Costigan, 11 Pat Egan, 12 Stephen Heise, 13 Fintan Meehan, 15 Caleb O’Hara. Subs: Niall Forde, Niall Fristy, Brendan Delaney, Declan Hogan.

Shannon Gaels: 1 James McCarthy, 2 Eoghan Kyne, 4 John Kennedy, 5 Sean Brennan, 6 Collie Fearan, 7 Caoimhin O’Callaghan, 8 Pa Ryan (1-3), 9 Rory McCloskey, 10 Steve Bruton, 11 Ronan Sheedy, 12 Padraig Kyne, 13 Graham McGuire, 15 Finbarr Flood (1-5). Subs: John Cantwell, John Hally, Mike Donaghue, Charlie Moore, Padraig Callaghan.

Man of the match: Caleb O’Hara.

What's going on in New York GAAGoogle Images