Everything you need to know about the Irish surname Kennedy - its meaning, origins, interesting facts and famous people with the last name Kennedy.
Irish derivation: O’Cinneide
Name meaning: Helmet head
Coat of arms motto: "Adhaero Virtuti" Cling to virtue
- The Irish clan Kennedy takes its name from Kennedy, the nephew of High-King Brian Boru (1002-1014).
- The name Kennedy was also that of the father of Brian macKennedy Boru. This Kennedy was the King of Thomond (north Munster Province) and was killed by the Norsemen of Limerick in 951 A.D.
Some famous Kennedys:
- John Fitzgerald Kennedy (1917 – 1963, 35th President of the United States)
- Robert Francis Kennedy (1925 – 1968, senator of New York)
- Edward Moore "Ted" Kennedy (1932 – 2009, Senior US Senator from Massachusetts)
- Caroline Bouvier Kennedy (1957-, American author, attorney, and diplomat)
- Claudia Jean Kennedy (1947-, is a retired lieutenant general in U.S. Army and the first female to reach the rank of three-star general in the U.S. Army)
- Sheila Kennedy (1962-, American Model and actress)
- George Kennedy (1925-, American Actor)
- Lucy Napaljarri Kennedy (c. 1926-, a Walpiri and Anmatyerre-speaking Indigenous artist from Australia)