Irish derivation: Ó Dubhthaigh.
Name meaning: "Descendant of the dark one."
Counties associated with the name: Monaghan.
Coat of arms motto: "Like lightning."
- A French pirate, Dupré, changed his name to Duffy to avoid a charge of murder and fled to Newfoundland.
Some famous Duffys:
- Charles Gavan Duffy (1816-1903, Irish poet)
- Eamon Duffy (1947, Irish historian)
- James Duffy (1889-1969, Irish recipient of the Victoria Cross in 1917)
- Joe Duffy (1956, Irish radio personality)
- Carol Ann Duffy (1955, Poet Laureate of the United Kingdom)
- Aimee Anne Duffy (1984, Welsh singer)