Everything you need to know about the Irish surname Byrne (O'Byrne) - its meaning, origins, interesting facts and famous people with the last name Byrne.
Irish derivation: Ó Broin.
Name meaning: "Descendant of Bran (King of Leinster)," "raven".
Counties associated with the name: Wicklow, Dublin, Kildare.
Coat of arms motto: "I have fought and conquered."
- Seventh most common name in Ireland
- Spelling variations include Byrne, Byrnes, O'Byrne, O'Byrnes and others
Some famous Byrnes:
- Alderman Alfred Byrne (1882 - 1956, Lord Mayor of Dublin ten times)
- Charles Byrne (1761-1783, Irish giant)
- Gabriel Byrne (1950-, Irish actor)
- Fiach McHugh O'Byrne (1534-1597, Lord of Ranelagh, leader of the clan)
- Gay Byrne (1934-, Irish TV personality)
- Myles Byrne (1780-1862, leader of 1798 Rebellion)
- Nicky Byrne (1978-, Irish singer)
- Rose Byrne (1979-, Australian actress)