Solace House's Virtual Walk aims to raise money for its free-to-use suicide prevention services.
As COVID-19 continues to take a toll on in-person events in 2020, Solace House responds by hosting its first-ever Virtual Walk. Its mission is to commemorate the original Sunrise Walk date of June 6th, by spreading messages of hope and promoting togetherness during isolating times.
On June 6th, 2020, participants from all around the world are welcome to virtually join the Solace House Virtual Walk.
The Virtual Walk is a free, all-day event where those participating can walk or run at a time that is most convenient to them. Participants are encouraged to check-in on the Virtual Walk’s Facebook event page, and send in messages of hope throughout the day. The Solace House Team will be kicking off live videos at different times during the day for those who want to tune in and have a little company either during their own walk, or while they are at home.
Here's how you can join in on Solace House's Virtual 5k on Saturday, June 6:
- Sign up to "Attend" on our Solace House Virtual Walk Event Page.
- Share on social media that you're taking part in the event, and encourage your friends and family to join in
- On June 6th, get outside, if possible, and walk/run around your neighborhood to raise awareness for suicide prevention and remember those we lost to suicide. If you are not able to walk outside, call up friends and family members & connect with those you haven't spoken to in a while.
- Tune into the Solace House Virtual Walk Event Page to watch live videos throughout the day. Solace House will have a special video compilation for all participants to tune into at 7 pm EST.
- Post your photos and videos of your walks on June 6th - make sure to tag us @SolaceHouseUSA, or you can send them via email to
Sheena.Mullan@solacehouseusa.org, who will share them with the community on our page.
- Send in your messages of hope and motivation for us to share with all participants, reinforcing the message: you are not alone.
- For those who like to track their physical activity, you can join our Running Group on the fitness app Strava to see the progress of fellow participants around the world.
You are not alone. These words are more important now than ever. The world is hurting. Usually, around this time, we...Publiée par Solace House sur Vendredi 5 juin 2020
Solace House’s mission is to raise awareness around suicide prevention and to reinforce the message: you are not alone, especially during times like these. The Virtual Walk aims to create an environment where people feel connected with one another again, even though we may all be physically apart.
Solace House kindly asks that anyone participating in the Virtual Walk be respectful of social distancing and to wear a mask if they are walking in a more densely populated area. If you are in a position where you are not able to walk on the day of the event, you can also take time during that day to check in with those you haven't spoken to in a while. Send a few messages, make a couple of calls - reinforce the message: you are not alone.
While Solace House encourages participation at no cost, they would be grateful for donations of any amount. This support will enable them to continue providing their life-saving services to the community. A fundraiser on the Facebook Event page will be launched closer to June 6th. If you would like to make a donation before then, you can do so on their website at www.SolaceHouseUSA.org/donate.
Rebecca Skedd, a native of Co Waterford who is now the CEO of Solace House in New York City, said: “We hope to have our Solace Sunrise Walk in the fall of this year, but for now, we’re excited to be hosting our first-ever virtual walk.
“While it’s so important to stay safe and maintain social distancing, we want to encourage people to get some fresh air, soak up the sun and enjoy a nice walk. We’re hoping to create a sense of solidarity through this event; even though we’re apart, we’re in this together.
“We’re faced with such unprecedented times right now, it’s so important we continue to portray a message of hope, positivity and togetherness. Please tag us in your photos and help us reinforce the message You are not alone.”
This week, Skedd shared an update about the event and the status of Solace House:
A Message from Solace House 💛
A message from Solace House 💛Publiée par Solace House sur Mercredi 3 juin 2020
About Solace House
Solace House provides free, confidential, therapeutic counseling for anyone who is experiencing suicidal thoughts or suicidal distress, as well as those who engage in self-harm or have been bereaved by suicide. For more information or to make an appointment, call 718-482-0001 or visit SolaceHouseUSA.org.