Keith Hogan was star at the end of an excellent game of senior hurling that seesawed throughout before the wing forward fired over the winning score for the Gaels.

In a battle of first and second year contenders, it was Long Island that stood tallest in the aftermath, but both are to be commended for their contributions to a brilliant contest.

The sides were on level terms six times, but it was the final surge from the winners that was the most important as they had the last 1-1 for the win.

Paul Sheehan was on target from play and a free to open the scoring for Ulster, and he was to have a marked effect over the hour. Hogan replied with a brace, one from play and the other from a free before Damian Murray and Peader McMahon exchanged points.

In the back and forth vain, Blaine Lehart and Ger McFettridge were on target for Ulster, while Murray and Hogan scored at the opposite end in the nip and tuck affair.

Sheehan also had a goal-bound effort pushed out for a 70 which he then popped over the lathe. Ulster moved in front at this juncture with the midfield dominating, and they were 0-12 to 0-9 ahead with the half winding down. Long Island replied with a trifecta before the break to again draw level.

Ulster pushed ahead as the second half opened with Conor Corvan pointing after he had a close miss. Long Island responded with four scores in succession, with Hogan the scorer in chief.

Both sides’ fouls were being punished now as Sheehan was clinical at the opposite posts -- an exhibition in free taking was unfolding.

The major that could break the game open was not forthcoming as the Gaels had two chances foiled.

With 15 minutes left Ulster were back in front. Corvan and McMahon both hit the target with McNaughton, Slattery and Sheehan also on the mark to give the debutants a 0-22 to 0-16 with time slipping away.

Barry Mulligan started the resurgence with a tremendous effort before Hogan and Luke Mullally scored from play. Conor Corvan had a point back for Ulster to leave a goal between the sides with just a minute left.

It was now Long Island’s turn to dominate. Hogan burst through for a goal that had a buildup involving Damian Murray, Jack Shelly and Dave Kenny. Then with time practically over, Hogan grabbed the winner.

For Ulster, Peter Hatzer and Enda Grogan did well at the back. John Corvan and Peader McMahon dominated the middle for long periods while Conor Corvan and the outstanding Paul Sheehan caused lots of problems.

For the winners, Ray Murray is superbly confident. Cian Morris and Turloughmore partner Matt Keating both had positive moments, while Luke Mullally, Barry Mulligan and Jack Shelly all had parts to play in the win. Keith Hogan had his second brilliant outing and will be a major star this summer.

Ulster: 1 Martin King, 2 Peter Hatzer, 4 Enda Grogan, 5 Richie Hartnett, 6 Paddy McNaughton (0-1), 7 Michael Cunningham, 8 John Corvan (0-2), 9 Peader McMahon (0-2), 10 Gerard McFettridge (0-1), 11 Conor Corvan (0-4), 12 Alan Higgins, 13 Paul Sheehan (0-11), 15 Blaine Lehart (0-1). Sub: Eanna Slattery (0-1).

Long Island Gaels: 1 Ray Murray, 2 Cian Morris, 4 Tadhg O’Callaghan, 5 Matt Keating, 6 Luke Mullally, 7 Barry Mulligan, 8 Danny Masterson (0-2), 9 Danny Breen (0-1), 10 Jack Shelly (0-3), 11 Keith Hogan (1-10), 12 Dave Kenny, 13 Damien Murray (0-3),15 Cathal Hardiman. Subs: Cian Hayes, Tadhg Slevin, Conor McDonagh (0-2), Conor Gough, Conor Lynam.

Referee: Finbar Flood.

Man of Match: Keith Hogan (Long Island Gaels).