Twenty-two-year-old Alexandra Clarke has spoken out about her sexual assault in the hope that the men who attacked her in the middle of the day in Chicago will be captured and to raise awareness of violent crime.

One month ago, on a Sunday afternoon, she was sitting at a bus shelter waiting for the Clark 22 bus at a busy intersection. She was listening to music on her iPhone when a man sat next to her.

“He was sitting there for about 30 seconds to a minute," Clarke told ABC.

"And all of sudden he grabbed my throat, he said, 'You are going to take a walk with me.'"

He grabbed her throat again and threatened to kill her. She never saw a weapon. Clarke was forced into a nearby alley.

In hindsight, she said she should have screamed or ran but she says shock took over.

She told the press, “I was compliant...I didn't scream, I didn't yell, I didn't try to run, I didn't think of any of that. I was mostly in shock that it was not only happening, but it was happening at 2 on a busy street."

She tried to call 911 but he grabbed her phone. Clarke said she was sexually assaulted on the back stairwell in the alley. The man took her wallet and fled. Clarke went directly to the hospital where she called her mother.

"I don't have the words for it. It's the most horrible thing that ever happened," said her mother, Renee Touchton.

The 22-year-old describes herself as a quiet person but says she wishes to go public in the hope that it will generate some leads and help her the police catch her attacker. Her friends and family have raised a $5,000 reward for the arrest and conviction of the man.

Clarke is convinced this man is a repeat offender and will attack other women.

She explained, “The fact that he had the confidence to do that middle of day, he has clearly done it before.”

She is now determined to help catch her attacker and move on with her life.

Here’s the ABC report:

Alexandra Clarke has gone public about her assault and rape in the hope of raising awareness and helping the police catch her attacker.ABC