Jaclyn McGuigan previously had a restraining order against her son

Kevin Justin McGuigan, 21, has been arrested following the brutal death of his mother Jaclyn McGuigan outside of St. Raphael’s Church in Rockville, Maryland on December 28.

The Washington Post reports that on December 28, Kevin called his 49-year-old mother Jaclyn asking to meet up at the nearby St. Raphael’s Catholic Church.

Read More: No murder charges for Irish man following fatal NYC bar fight

At about 5:30 pm, Kevin arrived at his mother’s house and the two left in her car.

At about 6 pm, witnesses report having heard screams at St. Raphael’s Church. They rushed to the scene to find Jaclyn laying on the ground bleeding and confirmed they saw a man matching Kevin’s description before he fled the scene in Jaclyn’s car.

Despite a witness attempting CPR on Jaclyn, she died outside of the church.

Jaclyn McGuigan (family photo)

Jaclyn McGuigan (family photo)

Police soon after located Jaclyn’s abandoned car and in it, they found Kevin’s cell phone, covered in blood. Kevin was located and arrested in the early hours of Saturday morning at a gas station.

Charged with first-degree murder, the 21-year-old now waits in jail without bond until his January 25th court date.

“She was the glue, she’s our rock, she’s our everything,” Jaclyn’s niece Nicky Everette told The Washington Post of her aunt who was a breast cancer survivor who had only finished chemotherapy over the summer.

“She was pure sunshine, pure light.” 

Read More: Doctor who killed son in Dublin found not guilty by insanity

Court records show that Jaclyn and Kevin had a tumultuous past. In February 2015, Jaclyn was granted a court order to have her then 18-year-old son Kevin removed from her home, insisting that he suffered from drug-induced paranoia and was a threat to her and her two other children. Kevin was undergoing an emergency mental health assessment at the time.

Jaclyn received a temporary protective order against her son, and then in February 2016 was granted a 12-month protective order. There is no indication that the order was ever renewed.

A definitive motive for Kevin’s murder of his mother has not been established.