Looking for an alternative to mashed potatoes for your Thanksgiving dinner? Chef Michael Gilligan has got you sorted!
While the spud may be mighty, sweet potatoes offer a certain bit of color that regular potatoes can't match.
Why not brighten up your Thanksgiving dinner with this scrumptious sweet potato recipe!
Smashed sweet potatoes recipe
- 4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 6 large)
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Scrub the potatoes, prick them several times with a knife or fork.
- Bake them for 1 hour or until very soft when pierced with a knife. Remove from the oven and scoop out the insides as soon as they are cool enough to handle.
- Place the sweet potato meat into the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and add the orange juice, cream, butter, brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, salt, and pepper.
- Mix together until combined but not smooth and transfer to a baking dish.
- Bake the potatoes for 20 to 30 minutes, until heated through.
Have you ever attempted this delicious Thanksgiving recipe? Let us know how you got on in the comments!
*Originally published in 2016, last updated in November 2023.
Do you have a favorite Thanksgiving recipe? Share in the comments!