The new center will provide up-to-date and relevant information in a way that is easy to follow. It marries high-tech digital delivery of information with personal interaction, and a warm Irish welcome.
The new office boasts a number of modern features which will boost its ability to provide comprehensive tourism information, including:
- The Inspiration Wall: a spectacular large-scale video wall presenting specially commissioned photographs from around Dublin
- New intuitive Interactive Pods to help visitors access relevant information quickly and display it elegantly with a simplified map displaying key locations and attractions throughout the city and county, showing visitors where they are in relation to the Tourism Information Office
- The Social Media Wall: another large digital display showing all the social media posts and tweets tagged with #lovedublin and filling the wall with the visitor’s own images and experiences of Dublin on an 'almost live' basis
- The App Wall where key smartphone apps are promoted (with free Wifi provided in the Tourist Information Office) to allow visitors to download a range of great new apps, including the Wild Atlantic Way app, giving them the tools they need to sample and explore
- The ‘What’s On’ Area, updated daily, presents visitors with large screens showing events, concerts and special exhibitions that are on today and tomorrow and visitors can also book some of the events immediately at the information desk
- The Ireland Area where digital posters and another smaller video wall show images of stunning locations around Ireland, further inspiring visitors on longer stays to venture to other parts of the country.
Upon officially opening the new Tourism Information Office, Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport, Paschal Donohoe TD said, “This new facility is a winning blend of the traditional and the new. It will combine the traditionally helpful and friendly expertise of the visitor information staff with a range of very modern digital tools which will help visitors make informed decisions in relation to their visit to our city and county – allowing them to really interact with all we can offer as well as fully enjoying their stay here”.
Orla Carroll, Fáilte Ireland’s Head of Dublin, emphasized, “This new ‘Visit Dublin’ office has been purposely designed to exploit the latest in technology to ensure that visitors here are both informed and inspired. We want visitors to Dublin to actively engage and explore their surroundings and we have a variety of easy to use and attractive tools for them to do so in this office. With its focus on the needs of the modern traveler and the provision of the most up to date information, we believe we now have a tourism office in Dublin that sets a benchmark nationally and, indeed, globally”.
Fáilte Ireland also announced that they have re-booted their dedicated website for tourism in Dublin, www.visitdublin.ie. The revamped site showcases a modern, vibrant and authentic Dublin through the use of imagery, videos, and stories giving consumers a taste of the hidden gems through dynamic content such as a ‘You might like’ feature.
The new design for the site is intuitive for the user and allows them to plan their trip by using a new innovative map where they can set their location and pin items places they would like to see and things they would like to do. The map offers the user a sense of proximity by showing the distance between their location and their pins. They can also ‘share’ their map with their friends or save it to print later.
Carroll pointed out, “Through its enhanced events section, our new Visit Dublin website highlights a city where there is always something happening right now. The site also promotes the great value for money that is available out there through the addition of ‘Special Offers’ for restaurants and tours.”
Fáilte Ireland will soon be launching a social media campaign centered on real Dublin experiences. Carroll explained, “Through a new campaign to promote Dublin, we hope to rally Dubliners to create and share their Dublin experiences using the #LoveDublin tag. Partnering with local broadcast media, Fáilte Ireland will be encouraging people to send in their content. We will select the best experiences and reward the winners with an open top city tour of all the selected experiences. All the content gathered will feed into our promotion of Dublin – both online and here in this new office.”