Irish derivation: Ó Briain.
Name meaning: "Descendant of Brian (Boru)."
Counties associated with the name: Cork, Clare, Donegal, Dublin, Fermanagh, Kilkenny, Limerick, Meath, Tipperary, Wexford, and Wicklow.
Coat of arms motto: "The strong hand from above."
- Queen Elizabeth II's maternal eigth great grand-mother was an O'Brien.
- Emerged as chiefs of the Dalcassian races from the south-west of Ireland.
- Founded by Brian Boru.
Some famous O'Briens:
- Conan O'Brien (b.1963, US comedian and talk show host)
- Soledad O'Brien (b.1966, journalist)
- Mick O'Brien (b.1961, traditional Irish musician)
- Miles O'Brien (b.1959, journalist and CNN anchor)
- Richard O'Brien (b.1942, actor and writer of cult hit 'Rocky Horror Picture Show')