Everything you need to know about the Irish surname Ryan - meaning, origins, interesting facts and famous people with the last name Ryan
Irish derivation: Ó Riain
Name meaning: "Descendant of Rían (little red one/little king disputed)"
Counties associated with the name: Carlow, Tipperary, Limerick
Coat of arms motto: "I would rather die than be disgraced"
- It is just as popular a first name as it is a surname.
- The other major Ryan root is that deriving from Rian, the mid-10th century King of the territory Ui Cinsealaigh in South Leinster.
Some famous Ryans:
- Francis T. Ryan (1862 - 1927, American Medal of Honor recipient)
- Harold M. Ryan (1911-2007, US Representative from Michigan)
- Gerry Ryan (1956-2010, Irish radio personality)
- Meg Ryan (1961, American actress)
- Rex Ryan (1962, NY Jets head coach)
- TJ Ryan (1876-1921, Premier of Queensland)
- Paul Ryan (1970, Speaker of the House, Congressman from Wisconsin)
* Originally published in 2014.