Everything you need to know about the Irish surname O'Donoghue - its meaning, origins, interesting facts and famous people with the last name O'Donoghue.
Irish derivation: Ó Donnchadha.
Name meaning: "Descendant of Donnchadh."
Counties associated with the name: Galway, Cavan, Kerry and Cork.
Coat of arms motto: "Nunquam non Paratus" or Never Unprepared.
- The family traces its lineage from the eleventh-century Eoghanacht dynasty of Munster, which participated in the battle of Clontarf in 1014.
Some famous O'Donoghues:
- Juan de O'Donojú (1762-1821, last Viceroy of Mexico)
- Bernard O'Donoghue (1945-, contemporary Irish poet and academic)
- Florence O'Donoghue (1895–1967, Irish historian and military intelligence expert)
- Ben O'Donoghue (1970-, Australian Celebrity Chef)
- Danny O'Donoghue (1980-, lead singer of The Script)
- Lowitja O'Donoghue (1932-, Aboriginal Australian civil rights activist)