A Wicklow woman has taken High Court proceedings against a major Irish retailer after a dress she bought from the Pennys store ignited.

Simone Burke of Fairgreen Dargle Road in Bray was just 11 when the dress alledegy caught fire in her grandparents home.

Now 25, she has launched court proceedings against the retailer claiming she suffered burns to more than 20 percent of her body.

It is claimed that Ms Burke's mother purchased the dress in the Mary Street branch of the store in May 1996. The incident occured two days later when Ms Burke was visiting her grandparents home. The court heard that she was standing with her back to the fireplace when suddenly the dress ignited.

The Wicklow woman was in hospital for over a month afterwards during which she underwent a number of skin grafting proceudures. Primark denies the claim, insisting she exposed herself to a risk of injury.

The hearing continues in Dublin.

Guinness-march2019