Irish citizen Terence Edwards Crosbie appeared in court in Boston, Massachusetts today, Tuesday, April 16, after being charged with rape last month.

Crosbie, 37, was in court on Tuesday for a probable cause hearing. He was remanded back into custody and is due to appear in court in Boston again on May 1.

The Irish citizen was charged on March 18 with raping a woman at the Omni Parker House, a hotel in Boston, on Friday, March 15.

Crosbie had traveled from Ireland to Boston for St. Patrick's Day celebrations.

WCVB Channel 5 Boston reported that according to court documents, the woman told police that she woke up to Crosbie sexually assaulting her, and after she told him to stop, she claimed Crosbie said: "This guy is sleeping. I know you want this."

The Dublin Fire Brigade says Crosbie has been placed on leave since the charges emerged.

Assistant District Attorney Erin Murphy said on Monday, March 18 that on the morning of March 15, Boston police interviewed a 28-year-old woman at Massachusetts General Hospital who told them she had been sexually assaulted at the Omni Parker House earlier that morning.

Detectives secured video surveillance from the hotel and from The Black Rose, a bar and restaurant in Boston, where both Crosbie and the victim were on Thursday evening.

Police learned that Crosbie had flown to Boston from Ireland earlier Thursday with other members of the Brigade and that he was scheduled to leave on Tuesday.

After being interviewed by police on Saturday, Crosbie booked a flight for 10:10 pm that night, days before his scheduled departure date. At the airport, Crosbie boarded an even earlier flight, departing at around 7 pm. However, State police stopped the plane on the Logan tarmac and removed Crosbie.

“As always in these matters, the willingness of the victim to come forward is crucial," District Attorney Kevin Hayden said on March 18.

"This victim deserves enormous credit for doing that in this case.

"I’m grateful for the alertness of police in finding out that Mr. Crosbie was attempting to leave the country before he could be held accountable for his actions."

The Suffolk County District Attorney's Office noted: "All charged individuals are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt."

In a statement to IrishCentral last month, the Dublin Fire Brigade said: "Dublin Fire Brigade Chief Fire Officer has been made aware that the Boston Police Department have begun a criminal investigation into an alleged serious case involving a member of Dublin Fire Brigade.

"The firefighter has immediately been placed on leave.

"We cannot comment on the specific circumstances but we would reiterate the high standards that we expect from all who represent our organisation at any event.

"As a result, we are conducting an internal investigation and establishing the facts in collaboration with the appropriate authorities and the organisers of the delegation.

"As this is a criminal investigation we will not be making any further comment at this time."