Long Island Gaels 4-19  Galway 4-13

Long Island Gaels had their third senior hurling win of the season when they defeated Galway by six on Sunday in a game that had a touch of all that is good and a little that is bad. 

The good was certainly the scores that both teams combined for, with some points outstanding including two from Damien Murray, one from each wing in the first half. Matthew Keating had an outstanding game for the winners despite leaving the field for a period with a leg injury, and he was a foundation at the back for many an attack as well as making life difficult for the Tribe attackers. 

The bad was the incidents that occurred with three players getting the line over the hour as well as an incident with a team mentor. 

After the teams traded points, Long Island had the first of eight goals when Murray grabbed a rebound of a Hogan shot. Terrance Grogan did very well to stop the first effort but was powerless to stop Murray’s blast. Keith Hogan followed with a beauty from 60 yards out before tapping a free over. 

Galway did have a Robbie Jackson point in reply, but the Gaels replied to the next three Galway scores with points of their own leading 1-8 to 0-6 as the half wound down. 

Keating and Lynam were doing very good work at the back for the Gaels, with timely clearances and interceptions to set up attacks. Ray Murray was also very dependable in the net, but he was beaten for the first time two minutes before the break when Thomas Vaughan had a cracker of a goal from approximately 25 yards out to the roof of the net.  It narrowed the gap to two as the short whistle sounded from Finbar Flood. 

Flood was immediately called to work 37 seconds into the second half when he cautioned Cian Morris for the second time and the young Galway native took an early shower.  Within a minute he was joined by Liam Butler and Jack Shelly when the pair had a small flare up that resulted in Limerick man Flood flashing reds to both. 

Back to hurling we went with Galway scoring three of the next four points, but the good work was cancelled out when Hogan drilled a 21 yard shot to the net to break the deadlock, 2-10 to 1-10 with still 24 minutes left. 

Hogan followed with a point from play before back to back goals from Keating and Murray gave the winners breathing room. Keating latched on to a Boland dropping ball for the first while Murray reacted quickest to a rebound from a Keating point attempt that was pulled back by the Galway keeper. 

Galway dug deep to get out of the hole that was created and they answered with a 2-2 to 0-1 sojourn. Joyce and Nolan had the majors but Jackson was now doing excellent work in the half back line as he had relocated. 

Following a Murray point, Jackson buried a 21-yard free to the net when Nolan was fouled and the lead was now just two, 4-14 to 4-12.

It was Galway’s last hurrah however as they were only able to manage one more score the rest of the way while Long Island tacked on five further points from four different players for the win. 

For the winners Ray Murray was very effective despite the four goals against; his quick puck outs and handling were excellent. The half back line of Callaghan, Lynam and Keating was terrific. Both wingers did outstanding work going forward; consider they got four scores from play while the Galway half forward line only had three. 

Keating when his side went down a man was outstanding, winning the ball, shutting down attackers and creating attacks showing why he was a Galway minor and under-21.  David Kenny was on and off the field. He did well when he returned. Keith Hogan continues to impress and his stick work is brilliant. Damien Murray knows where the posts are and his quick reaction for his second goal was a typical poachers. 

Galway had good performers in Sean Sweeney, Ciaran Hoyne, Jack Langton and the forward threats of Nolan and Joyce.  Robbie Jackson had a powerful second half when he moved to the defensive end. 

Long Island Gaels: 1 Ray Murray, 2 Cian Morris, 4 Luke Mulally, 5 Tadhg Callaghan (0-1), 6 Conor Lynam, 7 Matt Keating (1-2), 8 Barry Mulligan, 9 David Kenny (0-1), 10 Fergal Boland, 11 Keith Hogan (1-8), 12 Danny Masterson, 13 Jack Shelly, 15 Damien Murray (2-5).  Subs: Cathal Hardiman (0-1), Kyle Kavanagh, Tadhg Slevin.

Galway: Terrance Grogan, 2 David Healy, 4 Liam Butler, 5 Richie Gaule, 6 Ciaran Hoyne, 7 Sean Sweeney, 8 Jack Langton, 9 Brian Glynn, 10 Robbie Jackson (1-4), 11 Trevor Vaughan (1-0), 12 Thomas Foley, 13 James Nolan (1-5), 15 Alan Joyce (1-2). Subs: Andrew Keane (0-1), Shane Sheehan.

Referee: Finbar Flood.

Man of the match: Matthew Keating (Long Island Gaels).