Chef Stuart shares a recipe that will warm you up on the coldest of days now that the winter has arrived. Try out this great recipe for spiced butternut squash and apple soup for a sweet and spicy treat.
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
1 granny smith apple, peeled quartered and chopped
1 whole butternut squash, seeded and peeled and cut into ½ inch chunks
4 cups vegetable stock
Coarse salt and pepper
1. Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat and sauté onion and garlic for 5 minutes.
2. Add ginger, turmeric, cinnamon and cook for 1 minute.
3. Add carrots, apple, squash and vegetable stock.
4. Bring to the boil, partially cover and reduce to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper.
5. Cook vegetables until they are tender, this will take about 20 minutes or so. Remove from heat and let cool.
6. In batches, puree soup in a food processor or blender until smooth.
7. Add seasoning, serve with a drizzle of cream if desired.