This nourishing carrot and ginger soup recipe is packed full of vitamins.
Rustle up this comforting soup made with fresh carrots, fragrant ginger and warming nutmeg. Low-fat and warming, this carrot and ginger soup makes a healthy lunch or dinner - for even more nutrients, top with sliced almonds.
If you want to make this soup more substantial you could add pulses or grains. Add these to the recipe at the same time as the stock.
Quick, easy and mouthwateringly good. Why not make a few more portions and keep in the freezer for emergencies?
Carrot and ginger soup recipe
Time: 1hr to 1hr 30mins
- 8 carrots
- 1 onion
- 2 thumb-sized pieces of ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds, toasted
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 liter of vegetable stock
- 1 orange
- Salt and pepper
- 1 handful parsley, to garnish
- Sour cream, to garnish
- Peel and roughly chop the carrots and onion. Peel the ginger and garlic and slice.
In a large saucepan, melt the butter and add the olive oil. Add the onion and sweat for 10 minutes. Add the garlic, ginger, cumin and nutmeg and sauté for several minutes.
- Add the carrots, followed by the stock. Squeeze in all the juice of the orange and season. Bring to the boil and then allow to simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the carrots are soft.
- Purée until smooth. Garnish with some chopped parsley and a dollop of sour cream and serve.