Goals Do Trick for Celtics

Celtics 2-7  Monaghan 0-11

TWO goals midway through the second half were the springboard to success for Celtics in the first John Joe McGovern Cup game on Sunday at Gaelic Park.

John McArdle had the first in a man of the match performance, with his full forward line partner John O’Connell getting the second.  They were a two pronged strike force that Monaghan had no answer for.

Monaghan immediately jumped into the lead with points from Pascal Doran and Paul McGlynn in the first five minutes.  McGlynn added a free a minute later after further good work by Ross Connolly and his namesake James.

Celtics started the comeback trail with long balls into the big full forward line. Shane O’Connor was fouled for a free that Gary Nugent slotted over from the front of goal.

Moments later a long ball to O’Connell was caught and slipped to a charging McArdle. The corner forward had the goal at his mercy and drove hard over the bar. He fouled it with his second again with the same assister the full forward O’Connell.

Three each then at the 15 minute mark, and surprisingly all Monaghan to the break at least on the score board. McGlynn again had a free when James Connolly was fouled before two excellent points by Shane McKenna and Connolly again.

While McGlynn added a point to open the second half, it preceded a sustained period of Celtic dominance, 1-4 without reply, to power the side into the lead with McArdle getting the 1-1 in the mix.

McGlynn again added two points from frees, but he was the lone Monaghan danger man with the Celtics weathering the storm and grabbing a further point from Adrian Mullins before Monaghan had two scores again from McGlynn at the end.

The final minutes were marred by some unsavory incidents that did nothing to help the GAA in its promotions.

For the Celtics, Dermot O’Sullivan battled all day against Paul McGlynn. Derek McKenna did well but was booked in his third consecutive game with three different teams at the Mecca. John Smith, John McArdle, who was excellent when given opportunity, and John O’Connell all had leading roles.

Monaghan will look at the performances of Fergal Mulvanny’s first half, James Connolly, Shane McKenna and Paul McGlynn as their best.

Celtics: 1 Kevin McArdle, 2 David Haught, 3 Dermot O’Sullivan, 4 Sean Wally, 5 Rui Kelly, 6 Brian Greene, 7 Chris O’Connor, 8 Shane O’Connor (0-1), 9 Derek McKenna (0-1), 10 John Smith, 11 Adrian Mullins (0-1), 12 Gary Nugent (0-1), 13 John McArdle (1-3), 14 John O’Connell (1-0), 15 Danny Sullivan. Sub: Tommy Gee.

Monaghan: 1 C. Madden, 2 H. McKenna, 3 N. McKenna, 4 Hugh Clerkin, 5 Fergal Mulvanny, 6 Bonnie Duffy, 7 P. Murphy, 8 Ross Connolly, 9 Pascal Doran (0-1), 10 Shane McKenna (0-1), 11 Rory O’Neill, 12 James Connolly (0-1), 13 Mickey McEntee, 14 Paul McGlynn (0-8), 15 E. Philips.

Man of the match: John McArdle (Celtics).

Referee: Tommy Fahey (Waterford).

Junior Football

Cavan 5-5 Donegal 1-7

CAVAN used three goals in the first half to jump into the lead and another pair in the second half to easily stay there, with Declan Fitzpatrick accounting for three in a match winning performance that propels them into a semifinal where they will meet the winner of the Tyrone/Celtics quarterfinal.

Cavan had the first point of the game 30 seconds in with Joe Shannahy the sniper.  They slipped behind over the next 10 minutes, however, as Donegal had a sustained period where they attacked.

Three points from Joe Watson, C.J. Molloy and Mark Downes (each a free) when Molloy was fouled pushed them into the lead. While Cavan had chances in this period some wayward shooting did not help.

That changed, however, when Barry Dalton was pulled down for a penalty 15 minuets in, and Fitzpatrick slotted the ball to the net.

He followed it with goal number two when he linked with Shannahy minutes later and Cavan had the lead for good.

Two points from Joe Watson and a Molloy free brought Donegal back, but it was quickly negated when Seamus Kelly linked with Fitzpatrick for his third goal.

Molloy had another free, his third to open the second half, but a Cavan free from Fitzpatrick was made easier for the taker when dissent moved it in towards goal and the hat-trick man slotted over.

While Gary Dowd had Donegal’s seventh point in the 10th minute, it was all Cavan over the next quarter hour as resilient defensive work by Mel Dunleavy, Michael Smith and James Brady quelled any hopes of a Donegal resurgence.

Sean McGivney was very active in the middle as a third midfielder as they fired a good supply into the forward line. Barry Dalton had a point before a trio of chances were missed, and then McGivney had a point from play. He followed it with a thunderbolt goal after Shannahy set him.

Cavan won the ball from the resulting kickout, and Kelly had it back in the net for goal five. The one chance that Donegal had for goal in this period was a blast from 12 yards by Paddy Moran that was stopped by Eugene Kyne and cleared from danger.

A Fitzpatrick point concluded the Cavan scoring before a long ball to the Cavan square resulted in a penalty for Donegal after Mike Miro was fouled. Dowd slotted to the right to complete the scoring.

A good win for Cavan juniors to open their season. Eugene Kyne did nothing wrong in his first game between the posts for the Breffni boys; the save on Moran was important, while the full back line was very effective with Mel Dunleavy and Michael Smith to the fore.

Ronan Fitzsimmons and Niall Tackney were lively in the halfline, and captain Conor Brady won a lot of good ball in the center. Sean McGivney roved far and wide to gather possession. Joe Shannahy did not light up the score sheet but did a lot of the little things, while Declan Fitzpatrick was the scorer in chief.

Tommy Moran, Gary Dowd, Joe Watson and Jack Donnelly were Donegal’s best.

Cavan: 1 Eugene Kyne, 2 Michael Smith, 3 Mel Dunleavy, 4 James Brady, 5 Gerry Fitzpatrick, 6 Ronan Fitzsimmons 7 Niall Tackney, 8 Conor Brady, 9 Finbarr O’Neill, 10 Barry Dalton (0-1), 11 Joe Shannahy (0-1), 12 Declan Fitzpatrick (3-2), 13 Paul Galligan, 14 Seamus Kelly (1-0), 15 Sean McGivney. Subs: Eddie Travers.

Donegal: 1 Gary Ward, 2 Eamonn Gann, 3 Anthony Toner, 4 Chris Novelli, 5 Del Ferreira, 6 Tommy Moran, 7 Anton Kelly, 8 Mark Downes (0-1), 9 Gary Dowd (1-1), 10 Jack Donnelly, 11 Justin Friel, 12 Tony McMahon, 13 CJ Molloy (0-3), 14 Paddy Moran, 15 Joe Watson (0-2). Subs: Paddy Moran, Mike Miro.

Man of the match: Declan Fitzpatrick (Cavan).

Referee: Sean Jones (Fermanagh).


Junior Football

Second Half Rock Breaker

Rockland 1-10 FDNY 0-5

WITH this win over the Fire Department, Rockland now qualifies to face off against St. Raymond’s next week in the semi.  A second half where they dominated their opponents with 1-7 to 0-1 on the board was pivotal in the victory.

Tom Fennell had the perfect start to the game for Rockland with two points from frees in the first four minutes. It was to be their only scoring in the first 28 minutes as the FDNY replied with four points.

Pat Maguire accounted for three from frees and play with his point from the right wing after 22 minutes a gem. Good defensive work at both ends limited chances in front of goal, with Dermot Hayes and Brian Kehoe prominent for FDNY and Declan Neville with Jimmy O’Flynn cutting down some breakaways at the opposite end.

Glen Roche did have the Rockland third point two minutes from the break and it left the minimum between the sides, 0-4 to 0-3 at the short whistle.

The perfect start to the second half for Rockland when the ball broke to Sean McGrath after the throw in. He soloed forward and fired a long shot goal bound. It snuck under the bar for an opportunist goal and the Rockland lead again.

While Maguire had a point in reply after Brian Donoghue was fouled it was to be their last hurrah. McGrath hit the FDNY post on the next Rockland attack as he continued to get into the action and points from Sean Roche, and Fennell gave the side a three point cushion with 10 minutes on the clock.

They added a further five points before the end with a score by McGrath after a long solo run the best of the bunch. They were also denied goals by a brilliant save from Tommy Furlong and a screaming shot that went just wide from Seamus Keane.

The end could not come quick enough for the Fire Department as Rockland had all control before the final whistle.

Chris Clarke did nothing wrong in goal for Rockland. Brendan Fennell, Declan Neville and O’Flynn were the best of the defenders. Glen Roche helped himself to three points over the hour, while Sean McGrath was excellent in covering acres and on the score sheet. Tommy Fennell was always dangerous up front, with Sean Roche also prominent.

Tommy Furlong, Pat Maguire and Tom Flynn were the best of the Department group.

FDNY: 1 Tommy Furlong, 2 Gary Shannon, 3 Jack Meaney, 4 Brendan Kehoe, 5 Brian Madden, 6 Dermot Hayes, 7 F. Piazza, 8 Pat Maguire 0-4, 9 Terrence Flynn, 10 Brendan Donoghue, 11 Dave Garvey, 12 Mike Reilly, 13 Ger McCusker, 14 Tom Flynn (0-1), 15 Dermot Curtin. Subs: Emmett Woods, Paul Rowley.

Rockland: 1 Chris Clarke, 2 Gary Ginley, 3 Jimmy O’Flynn, 4 Sean Noughty, 5 Brendan Fennell, 6 Declan Neville, 7 Terrence Moore, 8 Pat Keane, 9 Glen Roche (0-3), 10 Sean McGrath (1-1), 11 Sean Roche (0-1), 12 Kieran McMahon, 13 Brendan Cassidy, 14 Tom Fennell (0-4), 15 Gavin Malone (0-1). Subs: Seamus Keane, Pat Murray.

Man of the match: Sean McGrath (Rockland).

Referee: Alan Hearty (Armagh).
Small hed

Junior Football

Saints Alive as Rays Win

 St. Raymond’s 2-14  St. Barnabas 4-4

 IN a battle of the Saints of the Bronx, St, Raymond’s used excellent free taking from Shea Furlong and goals at opportune times to get the win and qualify for the semi of the McGovern Cup where they will face Rockland next weekend.

The game began in dramatic fashion for St. Raymond’s when Eamon Lynch found the net with a fisted effort when the keeper had second thoughts about a bouncing ball.

Sean Carbin did reply with a point for the other Saints, but Tom Enright followed a point by Michael Cody with the second Raymond’s goal.

A Furlong free was cancelled out by a Thomas McGovern score from distance on the left wing as both sides created chances. St. Barnabas had their third score, a Brian McGovern fisted goal, when a bullet shot by Sean Carbin came off the keeper and bounced high into the air in the box. It gave his team a real lifeline.

The opposition reacted, however, in steady and clinical form. Three points came from Furlong frees as he punished indiscretions in the rearguard of Barnabas.

It was all needed as the Woodlawn boys used a three pointer to get back into the game. A ball from the back was cleared by Doug Brady to Adrian Clarke; he worked it to Thomas McGovern who after a slip drove in to Kevin Hannon. The full forward rattled the net with a low shot.

It was now 2-2 to 2-5 with Ray’s ahead, and they added a Furlong point after a silly free before Lynch had another from play.

With the half coming to a close St. Barnabas was given a huge break. A long ball into Kevin Hannon was dropped by the full forward, and he seemed to clearly pick it from the ground. No call however, and the ball was fed to Nick Torthia who found net easily. It made it a two point game with the break on a damp, cold day arriving.

The sides had a brace of points each to open the last half of the afternoon, with Jason Clarke getting the Barnabas scores on an active outing.

After a Lynch point Barnabas attacked again, with Albert Clarke linking with Thomas McGovern before McGovern was pulled to the ground as he prepared to take a shot on goal. He arose to slot the resulting penalty to the net and gave his side a 4-4 to 2-10 tie.

With 10 minutes on the clock it was all to play for. It was all Raymond’s on the scoreboard, however, as they used scores from Cody and Lynch to inch into the lead before Fergus Doyle had two brilliant points to make the result safe.

St. Ray’s ran out the clock still on the attack for the important win.

There was a nasty injury to Brady before the end. We wish him well.

The winners had some very effective players in Phil Wickham, Denis Kilkenny and Liam Butler at the back. Mark Comerford also got to a pair of balls at the end with the fist at crucial moments.

Huvane and Cody won the center and were good link men. Shea Furlong was clinical from frees and also active in open play. Eamon Lynch is a very good full forward, with Thomas Enright grabbing an important goal.

Barnabas had quality contributions from Tom Brady, Doug Brady, Tom McGovern, Jason Clarke, who was their best player, and Sean Carbin.

St. Raymond’s: 1 Ryan Sullivan, 2 Thomas Huvane, 3 Phil Wickham, 4 Denis Kilkenny, 5 Ciaran Slattery, 6 Mark Comerford, 7 Liam Butler, 8 James Huvane, 9 Michael Cody (0-3), 10 Fergus Doyle (0-2), 11 James Lynch, 12 Shea Furlong (0-6), 13 Seamus Lawton, 14 Eamon Lynch (1-3), 15 Thomas Enright (1-0).

St. Barnabas: 1 Mike Greaney, 2 Mike McMahon, 3 Brendan Murphy, 4 Douglas Brady, 5 Nick Torthia (1-0), 6 Thomas Brady, 7 Steve Greaney, 8 Brian Dennehy, 9 Adrian Clarke, 10 Tom McGovern (1-1), 11 Sean Carbin (0-1), 12 Jason Clarke (0-2), 13 Brian McGovern (1-0), 14 Kevin Hannon (1-0), 15 Brendan Mulroy.

Man of the match: Shea Furlong (St Raymond’s).

Referee: Paddy Gormley (Rockland).

CYC Fundraiser

ON Friday, April 30, there will be a fundraiser dinner for the CYC games which are being held in New York this July.

The dance is being held at the Kerry Hall on McLean Avenue from 8 p.m.-midnight, with music by Rumor Has It. The games are the largest gathering of underage players in any GAA tournament outside of Ireland with contests, from under-8 to under-18.

Contact Danny McKenna at 914-346-7177 or Mike Keane at 845-565-0065 for information.