Findmypast is working in partnership with IrishCentral to share fascinating insights into your Irish ancestors. Click here to get a special half price subscription, and discover your Irish roots today!
When you’re searching for historical records from County Offaly, you’ll find most of them coming from King’s County which it was known as while Ireland was under British rule. Here’s some more Offaly family history facts you may not have known:
1. There are five civil registration districts that lie within Offaly’s county boundaries – Edenderry, Mountmellick, Parsonstown, Roscrea and Tullamore. You’ll need to know these when searching for your family’s vital records.
2. Your Offaly family may well have been involved in the peat and turf industry, as the extensive bog landscape there has been harvested for centuries.
3. Historical street and trade directories, like The King's County Directory, 1890, are excellent alternative sources for finding your Offaly ancestors.
4. County Offaly is probably most well known in America for being the place that President Obama descends from. His ancestors hail from the village of Moneygall in south west Offaly.
5. Some of the most common family names associated with County Offaly include Dunne, Lynam and Egan.
You can explore over 930,000 Offaly records on Findmypast, the perfect starting place for discovering your Irish heritage.
For more stories on tracing your Irish heritage from Findmypast click here.