The mother of the young girl who died on a Dublin street due to an allergic reaction to peanuts has demanded answers as to why the pharmacist she approached to give her daughter a life saving injection refused to do so.

Caroline Sloan also said her daughter Emma’s last words before she collapsed were “I'm not going to make it.”

The family had been eating a Christmas meal in a Chinese restaurant on O’Connell Street when her daughter unknowingly tasted some sauce that had peanut extract in it.

They had forgotten to bring her EpiPen, which is an injection antidote in such circumstances.

She said her daughter’s toddler sister has been going around the house looking for her.

“Emma should be here with us now getting excited about Christmas, but instead we are putting her presents in a box. We'll never have Christmas again,” Caroline told the Irish Independent.

“Her little sister Mia will be two years old on the 28th, and she's going around hugging photographs of her and asking where she is. It's heartbreaking.”

“We need answers to why this happened, to why Emma could not be given the EpiPen.

“When we left the pharmacy she told us her throat was closing and she couldn't breathe, and by the time we crossed the road at the traffic lights she was collapsed on the ground.

“Nobody has knocked on our door yet to explain anything to us, not the gardai or the pharmacy or anybody. There hasn't been a word,” she added.

“I'd like to know why the pharmacist didn't give me the pen. I told him what was happening but he said I would have to go to A&E.

“Everyone tried to help Emma. As she fell to the ground she said ‘I'm not going to make it', and I knew she was gone.

“The ambulance people and the doctors worked on her, but I knew she was dead.