A police investigation is underway in London after an Irish resident died in a taxi following an abortion in England – days after she was refused a termination under Irish law.

The woman, a foreign national, had travelled from Ireland for the termination in January of last year but died hours afterwards. The Irish Times reports that the woman underwent the abortion at a Marie Stopes clinic in West London.

She had sought an abortion at a maternity hospital in Dublin but had been told it was illegal under Irish law.

The report says she is understood to have had a condition which raised the risk of miscarriage. The Irish Times says it is not believed to be in any way life-threatening.

Police in London have confirmed they are investigating the circumstances surrounding the case. A file will be prepared for the Crown Prosecution Services.

The Marie Stopes organisation responsible for the clinic refused to comment on the case on the basis of client-confidentiality.
The paper adds that the woman died in January 2012. but an inquest into her death has yet to be held as the police investigation is ongoing.

The woman’s husband spoke to the Irish Times anonymously and revealed his frustration at the lack of answers surrounding his wife’s death.

He said: “I think if this was an Irish or a British woman, we would know what happened to her. But I am still waiting for answers.”
He also said he was frustrated at the lack of assistance from some Irish authorities in seeking an abortion for his wife.

His wife had a child in Ireland in 2010 but the pregnancy was painful and complicated by extensive fibroids.

The were told that treatment of the condition could involve a procedure that would leave her infertile.

He added: “We were worried about what would happen when she became pregnant again.

“She was sick, but we were told that nothing could be done in Ireland.”

The man said his wife was about 20 weeks pregnant when she travelled to Britain for an abortion. They had spent time exploring the various options available to them and raising money for the procedure.
The husband said: “We were left on our own to deal with it. We didn’t get any help at all.”

The man, in Ireland on a student visa at the time, and his daughter are still living in the country.

The report says the woman’s case is likely to be examined by the UK’s Centre for Maternal and Child Enquiries, an organisation aimed at reducing the incidence of maternal mortality.