David Greene (31), a Dublin backpacker who was critically injured in a frenzied hammer attack in Melbourne has died in hospital.
Greene and pal David Byas (28) both from Cabinteely, in North Dublin, were the victims of the attack at a boarding house in the St. Kilda suburb on August 26.
Greene’s family issued a statement through Victoria Police on Friday confirming his death.
“David passed away surrounded by his family and friends. David’s parents, Aidan and Catherine, along with his brothers Luke and Aidan, wish to express their gratitude to all those who have helped and supported them through this difficult time,” the statement said.
The family paid tribute to the medical staff at the Alfred “for the wonderful care and attention they provided to David, and to the staff at the Australian Irish Welfare Bureau in Melbourne for all their support".
“The family have asked that their privacy now be respected as they grieve for the tragic loss of their precious and much-loved son,” it added.
It is understood that the two Dublin men were assaulted while they were trying to protect a female from the sexual advances of another man. Both men were left fighting for their lives after the incident.
Earlier this week Byas emerged from his coma at Alfred Hospital in Melbourne and remains in a serious condition in the rehabilitation unit of the hospital.
Byas’ brother Karl told the Herald his family are delighted with his progress so far.
"David can remember everything too, not the assault itself, but everything else. When he woke he was wondering why our parents were there," he said.
His brother said that Karl had moved to Australia after losing his job as an electrician in Ireland.
The 28-year-old is expected to undergo further tests in the coming weeks and is expected to make a full recovery.
According to the Irish Times, homicide Squad detectives have not taken over the investigation and are appealing for witnesses. Detective Inspector John Potter confirmed several witnesses and residents of the boarding house had been interviewed.
Luke James Wentholt (31) was charged with two counts of intentionally causing serious injury, two counts of recklessly causing serious injury, and other assault related offences.
He has been remanded in custody until his next appearance at Melbourne Magistrates Court on October 8.