Two friends died from the cold in an apartment in Dublin’s north inner city. John Glennon (67) and Debbie McEvoy (63) died from hypothermia according to a post-mortem examination.

Health officials became worried when they were unable to contact the two friends and the police visited Glennon’s apartment in the Drumalee Court complex before lunchtime on Monday, January 14. They found the friends lying together on the floor. There was no heat in the apartment and it is thought that the friends died from the cold over the weekend.

Deputy State Pathologist Dr. Khalid Jabbar reported that Glennon had a serious heart problem, which was a contributing factor and McEvoy had high blood pressure. The post-mortem examinations also revealed that the two had not eaten for some time.

Officials initially thought the cause of death was a gas problem as the heating in the apartment complex is powered by gas. The police from the technical bureau carried out a forensic examination, but found nothing out of the ordinary. Glennon’s apartment had been disconnected from gas about six years ago. Neighbor and friend Irene Daly said that Glennon had chosen to disconnect for unexplained reasons and Bord Gais confirmed in a statement that the gas disconnection was Glennon’s choice, not his supplier’s. Since his disconnection from gas, it is understood he used an electric heater.

Originally from Co Offaly, Glennon had lived in the apartment complex for about seven years. McEvoy, from Newry, Co Down had a home in Cabra, but frequently visited her friend in Dublin.

McEvoy’s sister, Rose Reel told the Irish Independent, “We’re all in shock. We can’t get our heads around it.” Glennon’s sister, Mary Tyrone, contacted his former wife and adult children to tell them the sad news. 

The scene on Drumalee Court in Stoneybatter, Dublin where a couple diedPress Association