Sweets for your sweet? This St. Patrick's Day celebrate with a Granny's recipe for Irish fudge.
Ciara McLaughlin the author of "Bread and Butter – Cakes and Bakes from Granny’s Stove" wrote "Granny delighted her family and friends with jars of handcrafted fudge at Christmas, and somehow the simple joy of receiving home-baked goods has yet to wear off!
"Skip the bustling shops and spend an afternoon baking these velvety squares of sweetness, then package them up with ribbons and string for a charming homemade gift."
We think these sweet treats would be a perfect gift for your loved ones this St. Patrick's Day.
Irish Fudge recipe
Makes 20-25 pieces
170g evaporated milk
130ml whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
• Line a 7 inch/18cm square tin with baking paper.
• Pour the sugar, butter, evaporated milk and whole milk into a heavy-based saucepan.
• Warm over a low heat, swirling the mixture together with a wooden spoon until silky, with the sugar crystals completely dissolved.
• Increase the heat to a boil, testing the mixture as soon as it starts to bubble by placing one droplet in a glass of cold water. If the droplet forms a soft ball then the fudge is ready. Alternatively, boil until the temperature reaches 115°C on a sugar thermometer.
• Remove the pan from the heat and leave to cool for around 5 minutes, then stir in the vanilla and salt and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until thick and no longer shiny.
• Scrape the fudge into the tin and leave on the worktop to cool completely before chopping into small, bitesize cubes.
Bread and Butter
This collection of home-baking recipes, handed down through Ciara McLaughlin’s family, brings cakes and bakes from Granny’s stove to your table.
From hearty potato bread to comforting crumble, from the warmth of fresh-baked scones to the joy of a well-stocked biscuit tin, from sticky puddings to foraged-fruit jams, these recipes make a lot from a little and combine seasonal ingredients with classic flavors.
Share in the secrets of traditional Irish baking and create your own memories with delicious recipes for every occasion.