This cauliflower soup recipe is perfect for chilly autumnal days.
Cauliflower rice, cauliflower pizza base... we've heard it all when it comes to this low-calorie veg but this soup, from our sister website FOOD and WINE Ireland, could become one of your winter staple recipes.
Irish cream of cauliflower soup recipe
Time: 1 hour
Top tip: Try it with croutons or crispy bacon for some added texture.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 large potato
- 1 onion
- 25g butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 liter chicken or veg stock
- 500ml full-fat milk
- 100ml cream
- Croutons, to garnish
Read more: Irish potato and cheese soup recipe
More interesting garnishes include crispy bacon, truffle oil, sautéed mushrooms, or some crumbled blue cheese.
- Wash the cauliflower, remove the stalk and chop into florets. Peel the potato and dice. Finely slice the onion.
- Heat the butter and oil in a large saucepan and add the veg. Allow to sweat over low heat for at least ten minutes. Do not allow to color.
- Pour in the stock and bring the boil. Return to a simmer, add the milk, season and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes until all the vegetables are soft.
- Purée until very smooth. Add the cream, stir and serve with crispy croutons.
Read more: Guinness French onion soup recipe
* Originally published on FOOD and WINE Ireland.