Celebrate the wonderful Irish Mammy this Mother's Day 2019 with some amazing statistics from 2018

The Irish mammy is a beloved figure within Ireland, one that should be rightly celebrated on Mother's Day, March 31 for 2019.

Read More: Happy Mother's Day! Things my Irish mammy taught me

The Central Statistics Office (CSO) in Ireland has compiled their quarterly vital statistics which shed some light on the modern Irish mammy:

Number of births in Ireland:

The CSO reports that there were 7,956 male births and 7,472 female births in quarter 3 2018.  The 15,428 births represent an annual birth rate of 12.7 per thousand population.  

Ages of mothers in Ireland:

The average age of first-time mothers was 31.1, up 0.2 years from the same period in the previous year.

The average age of all mothers at maternity for births registered in quarter 3 2018 was 32.9 years, also up 0.2 years from quarter 3 2017.

The average age of first-time mothers outside marriage/civil partnership was 28.8, while the average age of all mothers outside marriage/civil partnership was 30.3 years.

Read More: A Mammy’s recipe for real Irish egg salad sandwiches

Location of births in Ireland:

The highest number of births registered was in Dublin City with 1,709 (11.1% of total live births in the country) followed by Cork County with 1,406 (9.1%) registered births. Leitrim had the lowest number with 103 (0.7%) registered births in quarter 3 2018.  

Birth order in Ireland:

A total of 5,794 births (37.6%) were to first-time mothers in quarter 3 2018, while 5,390 (34.9%) were to second-time mothers.  These accounted for a total of 72.5% of births of stated parity in quarter 3 2018. 

The nationality of mothers in Ireland:

Of the 15,428 births in quarter 3 2018, there were 11,848 babies (76.8%) born to mothers of Irish nationality compared to 12,071 (77.2%) in quarter 3 2017.

Read More: Irish mammy of all time? 90-year-old and 19 children celebrate her

* The sources of this information are taken from the CSO's Vital Statistics Third Quarter 2018 report that was published on March 15, 2019.

How are you celebrating your Irish Mammy for Mother's Day? Let us know in the comments!

Guinness-march2019

Learn about motherhood in Ireland with these statisticsGetty Images