Rory McIlroy delivered his second major win Sunday when his claimed a eight-shot victory in the US PGA Championship at Kiawah Island. Passionate about his sport, in a 2009 interview, the Co. Down man said he doesn't take his life as a pro-golfer for granted.
"I am very fortunate to be in the position I am in,” he told CNN. “I see friends of mine that are at Uni [university], having to work and just makes ends meet and I am travelling the world playing golf. It's a bit of an easy life compared to some people".
Hailing from Northern Ireland, here are some random facts about the number one golfer in the world.
1. Born May 4, 1989, in Holywood, County Down, Northern Ireland, the only child of Gerry and Rosie McIlroy.
2. Dad introduced him to the game when he was two-years old. According to McIlroy, he showed promise from an early age “Dad tells me that I could drive the ball 40 yards when I was only 2 years old.”
3. First big international success came in the World Championship for the 9–10 age bracket at the Doral Golf Resort & Spa in Miami, Florida.
4. Turned pro at age 17 in September 2007, after he topped World Amateur Golf Ranking for one week.
5. Won his first pro tournament in in February 2009: the Dubai Desert Classic.
6. Refers to himself as “Rors”.
7. In June 2011 he won the US Open at Congressional for his first major title.
8. According to Forbes, McIlroy Delivered twice as much for sponsors in 2011 as Tiger Woods. His sponsors include Jumeirah, Oakley, Footjoy, Titleist and others.
9. His net worth is estimated at $20 Million.
10. After winning the USPGA on Sunday he returned to the top spot as No. 1 in the world and became the youngest player since Seve Ballesteros to win two majors.
Source Rory McIlroy Facebook.
Rory McIlroy reclaims world number one ranking with USPGA major: