Notre Dame's season of pride begins with a trip to Pittsburgh Here are some useful facts and notes about the (8-1) Panthers
- They’re currently ranked No. 12 in the AP Coaches poll and have won five straight games (all of which were against conference opponents).
- Their only loss came at North Carolina State, a game in which they led 31-17 late in the third quarter.
- Pitt’s running back, freshman Dion Lewis, is an absolute freak. He’s already rushed for over 1,100 yards and 12 touchdowns on only 208 attempts. The way the kid pumps his arms and strides down the field reminds me only of Mr. Reggie Bush.
- Pitt beat Navy 27-14 in September. Just thought I’d throw that out there.
- Bill Stull, Pitt’s QB, is easily having the best season of his career. He’s thrown 17 touchdowns and a mere 4 interceptions. He rarely throws more than 30 passes a game, except when he’ll play Notre Dame.
- During their recent winning streak, the Panthers' defense has only conceded 14 points per game.
- Jonathan Baldwin and Dorin Dickerson are Pitt’s go-to receivers. Baldwin racks up the yards (698) while Dickerson finds pay-dirt (10 touchdowns).
- Last season, Pitt beat Notre Dame in a 4OT thriller 36-33. There were a total of nine successful field goals, seven of which were in the overtime periods.
- Oh geez, I almost forgot; Pitt leads the nation in sacks with 39. The next closest team is USC with 32. Greg Romeus is the main culprit, as he leads the Panthers with seven.
- The Irish are a touchdown underdog at Pittsburgh, and have yet to cover a spread away from Notre Dame Stadium all season (0-3).
- Gotta mention Dion Lewis again. He runs like a track champion and always breaks the first tackle . . . always. I’d start saying prayers now if you’re an Irish fan.