Intermediate football KO final
Second Half Dominance for Rangers
Rangers 0-17 Monaghan 2-03 

The Intermediate Knockout Champions are Rangers after a brilliant second half performance when they outscored their opponents 0-12 to 1-00 and held them scoreless for 28 minutes.

The first half was far closer and gave reason to think that the game would come down to the wire. Monaghan were on top quickly with 1-01 within four minutes from Justin Burke. Rangers slowly started to come into the game however and they had five of the next six points to draw level with Sean O’Neill in excellent form with a brace in the mix.

Monaghan did have a Paul Lamb score before the break for a slim lead but the play of Danny Lehane, O’Neill and Caffrey for the winners was already showing signs of what was to come. They took control completely in the second half and were level within two minutes before adding a further five points in the quarter hour.

Shane Hogan started the onslaught with a very good run and score while O’Neill added a trifecta before Ronan Caffrey had a point on the turn and run.  It was all too much for Monaghan who could not build a clear cut chance until the 20th minute

Lonon Maguire created the opportunity for Paul Lamb but his strong drive came crashing out from the underside of the cross bar. Rangers reacted with a clinical vengeance. They added five further points to their total and easily withstood a final minute goal from Brian Annett to run out worthy winners. 

Rangers 1 Mike Sheridan 2 Kevin Daly  4 Donnacha O’Dwyer 5 Conor Hogan 6 Derek Courtney 7 Shane Hogan (0-02)8 Danny Lehane (0-02)9 Sean O’Neill (0-08) 10 Stephen O’Shea (0-02)11 Ronan Caffrey  (0-02)12 Sean Moynihan 13 Laurence Kennedy 15 Mike McSweeney (0-01)  Sub Emmitt Clarke John Power Monaghan 1 Sean McMullan 22 Lonon Maguire 4 Mark McCaughney 5 Sean McGivney 6 Bonnie Duffy 7 Naill McKenna 8 Sean Boyle 9 Ross Connolly 10 Caoimhin O’Callaghan 11 Sean Munnelly 12 Sean McKenna 13 Justin Burke (1-02)15 Shane McKenna Subs Conor O’Hare Brian Annette (1-00)Conor Phelan Paul Lambe (0-01)Shane Boyle

Referee Tommy Fahey
Man of the Match Sean O’Neill (Rangers)

Senior football KO Final
Cork wins after loss
Cork 5-10 Kerry 3-11

The Ned Devine Cup final had a number of twists and turns before it got to its crescendo not least of which was the football. It had three endings in essence and critical for Cork was where they were at the final one. Cork opened the scoring with a Derek Courtney point and punished Kerry in the 11th minute with a Peter Hatzer goal from a penalty after Cathel was fouled.

It was a low scoring first half however with the scores coming in deuces. Kerry had Moran and Moore scores before Cathel Hatzer had Corks second goal to precede a point of his own to extend the Cork lead to 2-02 to 0-03 with 5 minutes left in the half. Kerry however had two Keelin Hickey scores; he was now the free taker as Moran had retired with an injury.

Cork extended their advantage with points from Cathel Hatzer and Alan Raftery to open the second half but Kerry then had their most dominant period of the game. They put 1-04 on the board in an eight minute spell with Conor Ryan getting on the end of a Gary O’Driscoll free with a vital touch for the goal.

Cork however reacted in a positive fashion and after an excellent Mickey Leneghan pass Dan Doona had their third goal. Points from Leneghan and C Hatzer were added and the victory looked on. Kerry however had other thoughts and they had a Mike Murphy point before Keelan Hickey was set up by O’Driscoll for a goal to push them into the minimum lead.

With a last attack, Cork won a free on the right side of goal.  With time expired as the buzzer went off, Kerry appeared to have the win as it would have to be a direct kick. It did not go direct however and Alan Raftery got a touch for an equalizing point, or was it.

After long debate John Fitzpatrick said that it was and alarmingly we were headed for Extra time. It was all Cork in the extra period. Dan Doona had his second goal while Leneghan and Hatzer also hit the board in the first ten minute period. Gary Lowney added the fifth Cork goal in the second period before Mike Jim Fitzgerald had the final score.

When the final, final buzzer sounded Cork had the unlikeliest of wins.

Cork 1 Darren O’Mahoney 2 Gary Hanley 4 Liam Jennings 5 Shawn McNamee (0-01)6 Rory Stafford 7 Derek Courtney (0-01)8 Alan Raftery (0-02) 9 Danny Lehane 10 Tom Hardwick 11 Dan Doona (2-00) 12 Peter Hatzer (1-01)13 Mickey Leneghan (0-02) 15 Cathel Hatzer (1-03) Subs Francie Cleary Gary Lowney (1-01) Ronan Caffrey  

Kerry 1 Shane Clifford 2  James Huvane 4 Mike Nester 5 Conor Mulvihill 6  Sean Kelly  7 Ronan McLoughlin  8 Mike Jim Fitzgerald (1-00) 9 Gary O’Driscoll (0-01) 10 Keelan Hickey (1-04) 11Mike Murphy (0-01) 12 Conor Ryan   (1-00)13 Darren Moore (0-03)15 Robbie Moran (0-01) Subs Steve Gomez (0-01)

Man of the Match Alan Raftery (Cork)
Referee John Fitzpatrick 

New York's Gaelic ParkGoogle Images