Thinking of taking your Irish history study further? Here are some of the top research centers in America
Findmypast is working in partnership with IrishCentral to share fascinating insights into your Irish ancestors. Click here to get a special half price subscription, and discover your Irish roots today!
Many Irish American’s dream of someday visiting the Emerald Isle, and rekindling our own Irish spirit with our homeland. The joy of researching our family history and walking in our ancestor’s footsteps for many is a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Researching your Irish genealogy in America can be just as attractive, and we’ve put together our top five “must see” research center’s to add to your bucket list.
1. American Irish Historical Society Library: explore more than 10,000 volumes on Irish American history and literature, the most complete private collection available in the United States. Peruse the newspaper collection, and admire the Irish art on display.
2. Archives of Irish America at New York University: introduced on their website by this simple statement, “our understanding of American history is incomplete without the Irish dimension,” and so the Archives of Irish America is a must on any researcher’s list.
3. Western Reserve Historical Society Irish American Archives: With a broad collection spanning topics from politics to education to day-to-day life, this Cleveland facility is key to understanding the Irish culture and heritage not just in Ohio, but in the greater mid-west.
4. Balch Institute of Ethnic Studies at the Historical Society of Pennsylvania: Although this facility has worked to document the histories of many ethnic groups and their experiences, they have incredible original materials to support your Irish research, and subject guides to help you along the way.
5. Irish Genealogical Society International: Housed in St. Paul, Minnesota, the IGSI offers classes, tours, and one of the largest Irish collections in the United States. Plan your trip by utilizing their online catalog and program schedule to make the most of your time in the shared Minnesota Genealogical Society Library facility.
For more stories on tracing your Irish heritage from Findmypast click here.