Everyone can be good at making excuses from time to time. With that in mind, here are a list of the top twenty excuses based on the course of Irish history.
The following are just a snippet of Frank McNally’s “A History of Ireland in 100 excuses” published in the Irish Times.
1. The weather.
2. The 800 years of oppression.
3. No-one shouted stop.
4. I have to see a man about a dog.
5. The Christian Brothers.
6. We only did it for the craic.
7. He must have got it from his father's side - it couldn't have been from us.
8. I suppose we might as well have one for the road, so.
9. Had I the heavens' embroidered cloths, etc, etc/But I, being poor, have only my dreams.
10. This Bill seeks to provide an Irish solution to an Irish problem.
11. I had to attend my grandmother's funeral
12. I must have had a bad pint.
13. It was either that, or the curry on the way home.
14. We made those pre-election promises in good faith. It was only in government we realised how bad the country's finances were.
15. The money was only resting in my account.
16. The banks were throwing money at us.
17. Don't blame me - I was only the Taoiseach.
18. I'm off the beer for Lent.
19. There was drink involved.
20. The Celtic temperament.
Have you any more excuses for us? Let us know below.