These top tips will enlighten you to the lives of your ancestors from the premier county.
Findmypast is working in partnership with IrishCentral to share fascinating insights into your Irish ancestors. Click here to get a special half price subscription, and discover your Irish roots today!
A county in Ireland as far back as the year 1210, Tipperary, has long been associated with some of the most influential events in Irish history including the start of the Irish War of Independence and the formation of the GAA. If your family come from Tipperary, here’s some interesting facts you may not have known:
1. Several famous faces can trace their roots back to Tipperary. Former US president Ronald Reagan’s family came from Ballyporeen while Australian Outlaw, Ned Kelly’s father was born in Killenaule.
2. When searching for your Tipp ancestors’ births, marriages and deaths, you’ll need to know the civil registration districts that lie within the county boundaries. There are 13 - Borrisokane, Callan, Carrick on Suir, Cashel, Clogheen, Clonmel, Donaghmore, Nenagh, Parsonstown, Roscrea, Thurles, Tipperary, Urlingford.
3. Some of the Irish surnames most commonly associated with County Tipperary include Ryan, Gleeson, O’Dwyer, Tracy and Kelly.
4. Early Irish directories such as Bassett’s directory of Limerick City and County and Principal Towns In The Counties Of Clare, Tipperary and Kerry (1881) can be very useful for tracing your Tipperary roots in the 19th century.
5. The last recorded witchcraft trial in Ireland took place in Tipperary. Bridget Cleary was burned to death by her husband Michael in 1895 because he believed she was a changeling.
“It’s a long way to Tipperary”, so why not start your research online? There are over 3.2 million family history records to explore on Findmypast that are directly related to the county. There has never been a better time to uncover your Premier County past.
For more stories on tracing your Irish heritage from Findmypast click here.