Marcin Pieciak has been arrested and charged following the murder of Longford woman Sarah McNally, 41, that occurred at an Irish pub in Maspeth, Queens on Saturday evening, March 30.

Pieciak, 36, was arrested and charged in the confines of the 104 Precinct on Monday, April 1 at 12:38 pm, a spokesperson for the NYPD's Deputy Commissioner of Public Information told IrishCentral on Tuesday.

Pieciak, with an address in Queens, was charged with intention to murder and criminal possession of a weapon.

An NYPD spokesperson told IrishCentral on Sunday that on Saturday at about 6:34 pm, police responded to a 911 call for an assault in progress at 69-56 Grand Avenue (an Irish pub, The Céilí House) within the confines of the 104 Precinct.

"Upon arrival, police observed a 41-year-old-female with a stab wound to the neck and an unidentified male with a stab wound to the back and neck," the spokesperson said.

"EMS responded and transported both aided individuals to NYC Health and Hospitals/Elmhurst in critical condition.

"The 41-year-old-female was subsequently pronounced deceased by hospital staff.

"The investigation remains ongoing."

The NYPD spokesperson confirmed that the woman was Sarah McNally, a native of Co Longford.

The Daily News reported on Monday that McNally "was attacked by her boyfriend holding knives in both hands" and that the two had been living together for about a year.

Speaking with RTÉ News at One on Monday, Joe Flaherty, Fianna Fáil TD for Longford, said: "Sarah was a wonderful young woman, bright, vivacious, witty, charismatic, everything."

He said McNally "went to America full of hope, full of ambition, and by all accounts was doing very well in America."

He noted that the 41-year-old came from "well-known Longford families steeped in the local community" and that she and her mother were particularly close.

McNally "loved to keep up-to-date with the news [at home in Ireland] and she loved to tell people how life was going for her," Flaherty said.

"And by all accounts, it was a very happy life and everything was going well for her in New York which makes this news all the more harrowing and upsetting for people that know her."

Flaherty said McNally's "heartbroken" mother was flying to New York.