Young boy was abused daily at Catholic home by Irish nun, who became pregnant and was shipped home to Ireland in disgrace.

An elderly man, a former choirboy, has revealed that he was repeated raped by a nun while he was homed in a Catholic children’s home, what’s more, she fell pregnant with his child.

Edward Hayes, now 76 years old, has come forward with the shocking claims that he was sexually abused when he was just 12-years-old by a nun. He revealed that he was repeatedly raped by a nun called Sister Mary Conleth, who was Irish.

The nun fell pregnant and was sent back to Ireland, to live with her sister, in disgrace. Hayes was expelled from John Reynolds Home, in Lytham St Annes, Lancashire. He never found out what happened to his child.

Over the years Hayes has sought compensation for the sexual abuse that befell him while he was in the care of the Catholic church. He received $28,000 (£20k) which was swallowed up by legal fees.

Man was 'raped by nun and fathered her baby during vile abuse at Catholic home'

— Anthony John Wixted (@TrojanManifesto) April 3, 2018

Hayes, who lives in Carlisle, waived the right to anonymity while speaking with the Daily Mail. He revealed that he was abused for over three years while under the care of the Catholic nuns of the Franciscan Missionaries of St Joseph.

He said he was raped by the then 27-year-old Irish nun Sister Mary Conleth during that time.

Read more: Irish government called on to honor hundreds of Magdalene Laundry survivors

Now a grandfather himself, Hayes explained that he had arrived at the Lancashire home when he was just 10 years old. He had been living in poverty and was suffering from malnutrition so arriving at the home run by Catholic nuns seemed like a blessing.

He told the Mail “It was nice to be somewhere warm, where I was eating food and having hot baths. My first years there created some great memories for me.

“I was a great student, I sang in the choir, I could read perfect Latin and playing football - even being touted by local football clubs.”

A few years later Sister Conleth arrived. She worked in the laundry and asked Hayes for his assistance. The young boy was regularly left on his own with the Irish nun.

CLAIM: Nun raped boy and had baby... @DRUDGE_REPORT

— Breaking411 News (@breaking411) April 3, 2018

“I had barely started work in the laundry when it happened. I was still twelve. She'd pull my trousers down, push me to the floor and lay on top of me,” Hayes said.

“She would pull her habit up and she had no pants on. She'd talk dirty to me. I would not let her kiss me. I thought babies were made by men kissing women.”
At the age of 14 Hayes had been given his own bedroom, which was unheard of at the home. It soon became apparent why Hayes had received this perk. Conleth visited the boy’s bedroom after lights out.

In April 1956 Hayes’ abuse came to an end when the nun declared she was pregnant.

“At the time I didn't even understand how I got her pregnant because I never kissed her. We were more naïve back then,” Hayes said.

Conleth was sent to Ireland and Hayes was banished from the Catholic home.

The Catholic nun, Sister Conleth, who was sent home to Ireland, pregant, died in 2002.

The Catholic nun, Sister Conleth, who was sent home to Ireland, pregant, died in 2002.

He was eventually adopted by another family. His adult life was chaotic and by the age of 21 he had succumbed to alcoholism. Hayes married and had two children but his marriage soon failed.

He joined the army and served in the British Royal Artillery for five years. He left the service in 1969 due to ill health. He had developed an ulcer from drinking. He received a medical discharge.

Hayes told the Mail “I couldn't ever settle, every single day I thought about the abuse, I started drinking to try to blot everything out. I never told anybody what happened to me, not even my wife.”

In 1998 Hayes, who worked as a printer after his military career, started his mission to receive justice.

Having read a newspaper article about the abuse survivors of the Catholic abuse Hayes contacted the police, a social worker and then his local member of parliament. Years later he was directed towards a Catholic charity.

Hayes eventually found the survivor group MACSAS (Minister and Clergy Sexual Abuse Survivors) having picked up a leaflet in his local library.

In 2010 Hayes met MACSAS volunteer Noel Chardon, another survivor of Catholic Church abuse, who was on a mission to help others come to terms with their abuse after experiencing failings in care for himself.

Chardon helped re-home Hayes in a better area, claim benefits and build bridges with his family. In 2012  Hayes was told he would receive legal aid, so he could make the Church accountable in court. However, he received only $28,000 (£20k) which was swallowed up by legal fees.

Hayes said “I was pleased to bring them to account but it was a pittance. I worked out they were giving me about 22p a day for my ordeal.

“I had to pay £10,000 to the solicitor and then I had costs of around £5,000 myself so I didn't come out with much at all.

“But at least I made them acknowledge what they had done to me. And now, as I speak publicly, I think will be the most satisfying of all.

“As for the nun, she died in 2002 so I might never find out what happened to the child. I am still speaking to organizations in Ireland. I have gotten used to being determined.”

He continued “I have been through hell for the majority of my life, trying to hide what happened to me.

“Nobody should go through that. Seeking retribution has been great solace for me.”

A spokesman from the Sisters of the Franciscan Missionaries of St Joseph told the Mail “I am desperately sad abuse took place to Mr Hayes while he was placed under our care.

“The Franciscan Missionaries of St Joseph have offered our sincere and unreserved apology for the abuse he suffered whilst resident at the John Reynolds Home and all the subsequent pain and trauma which followed the actual abuse.

“There is no place for abuse in the Church and along with every other agency caring for children and vulnerable adults we now have stringent Safeguarding policies which aim to prevent any possible recurrence of what happened to Mr Hayes.”

Read more: Fight for forensic excavation on 796 Tuam Babies mass grave