The Antrim woman who juggled the heartbreak of terminal cancer with the joy of discovering she was to become a mother for a second time has given birth to a baby boy.

Terri Moore first felt a lump on her stomach when she was pregnant with her daughter Macey 17 months ago, but doctors dismissed it as a hernia.
The problems worsened, however, when the 23-year-old became pregnant again - and this time the diagnosis was much more devastating.

The lump was in fact a malignant gastrointestinal tumour and it had grown and spread to many of her organs. Though mercifully rare, only around 20 per cent of sufferers live beyond three years.

Speaking to the Antrim Guardian a fortnight ago Terri admitted that the prospect of not living to see her children go to school was 'heart-breaking' - though she stressed that the battle with the cancer would have to wait until her baby son was safely delivered.

There were tears of joy shortly after 11am last Monday morning when little Max was formally introduced to Terri and his dad Andy Magee.

Max arrived 12 weeks early and weighed in at just two pounds nine ounces, but is said to be doing well in the Neo-Natal Unit at Antrim Hospital.

(Source: Antrim Guardian)


The burglary at a local GAA club last weekend, just hours after a charity fundraising event was held on the premises, has been described as callous in the extreme and has greatly angered the local community.

Intruders broke into St. Patrick’s GFC clubhouse in Cullyhanna early last Saturday morning, just hours after a hugely successful fundraiser was held in support of a young local man who is recovering from serious injury.

The community came together to offer their assistance through the function for young Paddy McDonnell from the village who sustained serious spinal injuries in an accident at work four months ago.  Paddy has been in hospital undergoing intensive medical treatment since the accident and will require further extensive rehabilitation therapy to regain his full health.

Last Friday night week’s event was one of the biggest events ever held in the club, attracting hundreds of people all keen to show their support for Paddy and his family.  The night was a huge success, raising thousands of pounds.

However, shortly before 6.00am last Saturday, a gang of thieves broke into the club and removed a safe which had been bolted to the floor and walls.  Although the safe contained an estimated £1000, none of the proceeds of the night’s event were inside.



More news stories from Ireland on IrishCentral

Woman escapes sex slavery after meeting Facebook friend

FBI releases papers on Russian Irish spies in US - ‘Ghost Stories’



Mother-of-nine who pleaded guilty to the man¬slaughter of her partner in Carlow has been given a five-year custodial sentence.

Anne Berry (43) admitted kill¬ing 36-year-old Anthony Riordan at his home in Barrow Mills, Graiguecullen in the early hours of 5 June 2009.

At a sitting of the Central Criminal Court in May, Berry pleaded not guilty to Mr Riordan’s murder but guilty to manslaughter.

rosecuting counsel Pauline Walley SC informed the court that the manslaughter plea was acceptable to the director of public prosecutions. Mr Justice Garrett Sheehan handed down a five-year sentence before remanding Berry in custody.

“It’s hard to see how this case could not have had a non-custodial outcome,” said the judge.

The judge noted that Berry had been in a three-month relationship with Mr Riordan and she had a tendency to enter abusive relationships. He also noted that Berry reported earlier that evening to gardaí that she had been assaulted on the day of the incident but it appeared the deceased “posed no threat to the accused at the time of his death”.

The court heard that throughout Berry’s dealings with gardaí she expressed genuine remorse that Mr Riordan had died.

State pathologist Dr Marie Cassidy, who conducted an autopsy on the body of Mr Riordan on 5 June 2009, found the cause of death was a stab wound to the abdomen, which went through the liver and also penetrated a number of other vital organs causing blood loss. Dr Cassidy also noted that Mr Riordan, who was originally from Coolock in Dublin, was “very heavily intoxicated” at the time of his death.
(Source: The Carlow Nationalist)


Detectives believe a north Dublin gang or a gang operating from across the Border may have been responsible for a recent raid on an ATM at a commercial premises in the Co Cavan town of Kingscourt.
The raid took place between 4am and 5am at a premises on the Main Street.

The gang used cutting equipment to gain access to the rear of the building.

Gardaí said an undisclosed sum of money was taken in the raid and they were examining CCTV footage.
(Source: The Anglo Celt)


An Irish exploration company plans to start drilling an oil and gas well 200km off the West Clare coast next summer. It estimates net value, based on current prices, at between US$1billion and US$2b.

Providence Resources Plc has been awarded licensing options in four new offshore areas as part of the 2011 Irish Atlantic Margin Licensing Round, including its Spanish Point gas condensate, by Natural Resources Minister Pat Rabbitte.

These licensing options have a two-year term after which they may be converted into Frontier Exploration Licences, which have a 15-year term, divided into a first phase of three years, followed by three phases of four years each, with a well commitment required at the end of the first phase.

Providence will operate the licensing options in all four areas which cover around 5,000km2 and range in water depth from about 400m to 3,000m.
Their partners in the new acreage include existing co-venturers like Chrysaor and Sosina, as well as new entrants, such as Repsol and FirstOil.

The company is planning to start drilling in the area in summer 2012. Discoverd in 1981, the site has a total projected volume of 200 million barrels of oil during its lifetime.
Drilling off-shore is expensive with the cost of extracting oil from one well expected to range between US$50 and US$60 million.
(Source: The Clare Champion)


A handwritten note from a victim of the fatal first trip of the Titanic has gone on display at Cobh Heritage Centre last week. The poignant note was written by 19 year old Jeremiah Burke from Ballinoe, White’s Cross and was hurled from the deck of the Titanic in a bottle.

The bottle had contained holy water given to him by his mother before he left, according to his niece Cllr Mary Woods, who officially entrusted the note to Cobh Heritage Centre last Tuesday.

The note simply read: “From Titanic, Goodbye All, Burke of Glanmire Cork”. Incredibly, the bottle washed up a year later on the shoreline near his family home on the shoreline at Dunkettle, close to Whites Cross.

Tragically his mother, Catherine, never saw the note as, Cllr Woods says: “She died of a broken heart after she heard that Jeremiah died on the Titanic”.

His eventual destination was to be Massachusetts, but like so many others, the teenager was lost when the ship hit an iceberg and sunk on the morning of 15 April, 1912. Only 705 people survived out of the 2,228 people on board.

The note has been in the treasured possession of the Burke family taking “pride of place in the family home in Balinoe,” according to Cllr Woods. “Many people came from America and other places around the world to see the note.”

Jeremiah Burke’s sister was among the people to see the note after she traveled home and saw it. Jeremiah was emigrating to join her in Boston, along with his first cousin Nora Hegarty, who also drowned in the Titanic tragedy.
Source: (Cork Independent)


A website that facilitates extra martial affairs says it now has more than 1200 members in Derry - and it says hundreds of couples here are only staying together because they can’t afford to split.

Rosie Freeman-Jones of says the site has seen a 20% increase in the number of Derry people joining since the recession started, bringing the total number of local members to just over 1260.

And she says a recent survey has showed that over 505 married couples in Derry would like to get a divorce but simply can’t afford to because of the recession.

“There are a large number of our members who would like to divorce their other half but just can’t raise the funds to do so, We’ve seen a dramatic rise in membership in Derry to our site over the last year as the recession has forced people to stay in marriages they would rather get out of.”

Statistics gathered by the site show that 38% of members in Derry felt the stress of relocating in the current climate had effected their decision to stay married to their partner, while 42% were put off by the cost of the divorce itself.

The Illicit Encounters Marriage survey found that finance was now the biggest cause of arguments between married couples – 30% of spouses said that money worries are the biggest problem in their relationship.
(Source: Derry Journal)



More news stories from Ireland on IrishCentral

Woman escapes sex slavery after meeting Facebook friend

FBI releases papers on Russian Irish spies in US - ‘Ghost Stories’



Donegal All-Ireland winner Manus Boyle will form part of an Irish delegation that will travel to Ethiopia in the new year to educate local Ethiopian children on the importance of sport and the prevention of HIV/Aids.

‘Playing for Life’, the GAA’s Charity of the Year 2011, is gearing up for its GAA ‘Heroes to Ethiopia’ Trip which will take place in January. Players and volunteers along with members of the local community will construct a sustainable sports facility which will serve as a focal point for further community development in Ethiopia.
(Source: Donegal Democrat)


Two thugs who terrorized a 94-year-old woman in her home at the weekend are likely to be local and to have targeted elderly people in similar raids before.

That's the verdict of Sinn Fein councilor Brendan Curran who is a close friend of the woman and her family.

He told the Democrat that the woman's son had left her alone shortly before 10pm on Friday, switching on the outer security lights before he went.

But soon afterwards the intruders forced their way into her home and her bedroom, where she was woken by a torch being shone in her face. It was the start of a terrifying 20-minute ordeal during which she was held down on her bed by one of the men while each room of her home was systematically searched by the other.

Both eventually fled empty-handed.

“It's very clear that these two thugs were working on local knowledge," Mr Curran said.

“This house wasn't randomly picked out by a Sat Nav - it was selected because it's relatively secluded and because an elderly woman lives there alone. They thought it would be an easy touch.
(Source: Newry Democrat)


An epilepsy sufferer caught growing cannabis under lights in his bedroom was using the drug for medicinal purposes after he was diagnosed with the condition.

Aengus Doyle (44) began growing the drug after researching its use on the internet because his condition was life-threatening, a court heard.

He was left without a criminal record after he pleaded guilty to drugs charges at Dublin District Court.

Doyle admitted charges of possession and cultivation of cannabis at his home at Hardwicke Apartments, North Brunswick Street, Dublin 7, on July 12, 2010.

Garda Deborah Burnett told the court she went to Doyle's address with a drugs search warrant at 6.50am.

On entering the premises, the gardai were met by Doyle, who immediately said he was growing cannabis in his back bedroom.

Garda Bennett went in and saw that there were four cannabis plants in a box that had been made to fit them.

There were also two jars of the drug and other apparatus.

Burnett was arrested and taken to the Bridewell Garda Station, where he was 'extremely co-operative' and explained he was growing the drug for his own personal use.
(Source: The Evening Herald)


The funeral took place this weekend of an elderly woman who was knocked down by a bus in Enniskillen recently.

Kitty Gault from the Hillview area of the Co Fermanagh town had been shopping last Wednesday morning when she was knocked down by a bus on Wellington Road in the centre of the town at around 11.30am.

The 78-year-old was taken to hospital. Police say they were informed at 2pm that she had died.
She had attended St Michael’s Church in Enniskillen, where Father Noel McGahan described the widow as “very well liked and respected”.

Mrs Gault was an active member of a local bowling club where she played zone bowls and had won national titles during her life in the sport.

She attended a 40th anniversary reunion of workers at the former Taylor-Woods factory at Enniskillen Castle in 2006 where she met Coronation Street actor Charlie Lawson whose father Quintin was a production manager at the historic plant.

It produced underwear garments from 1947 to 1966. She was thought to have once been crowned Miss Taylor-Woods.

An eyewitness to the accident  last Wednesday morning described how people on the bus screamed as it came to an abrupt halt.

The Impartial Reporter’s Rodney Edwards was traveling on the Enniskillen to Belfast bus when the accident happened just minutes after the bus pulled out from the station.


The Government is set to announce that 20 families are to be relocated following the flooding disaster in November 2009 – but there’s shock news for one devastated County Galway household who didn’t make the list despite damage to the foundations of their home once submerged under three feet of water.

The family house was further damaged by the big freeze last year – so much so that its foundations are now unstable.

But despite their best efforts to be relocated, the Keogh family from Carnmore were devastated to learn that their application was not successful and now have nowhere to turn.

It is understood that there were around a dozen applications from County Galway from those whose homes suffered extensive damage from the floods but only two have been accommodated with new houses.

In total the Government received 32 application from across the country under the flood relocation scheme and just 20 of these have been successful.

The Keoghs are not one of these and they have expressed their devestation at not having a home to move back into and remain in rented accommodation.

The Government will have spend €50,000 on paying the rent for this family over a five year period when this money could have been allocated towards the provision of a new house.

Margaret Keogh, her husband Ned and their three children Dylan (10), Jason (7) and Lauren (3) have been living in rented accommodation since the flooding. They haven’t spent Christmas in the same house since their ordeal.
(Source: GalwayBay Fm)


A footballer who collapsed during a match last Sunday has died at Cork University Hospital.
The family of Brendan 'Bawnie' O'Driscoll (28), from Camp in Co Kerry, had maintained a vigil at his bedside since the talented footballer was admitted last Sunday evening.

Mr O'Driscoll, who played wing forward with Annascaul and West Kerry, collapsed while playing with his club 10 minutes into the second half.

He was playing in the West Kerry Championship against neighbors Lispole at Paddy Kennedy Memorial Park last Sunday.

His team was leading 1-4 to 0-4 at the time and he contributed the goal and a point to his team's tally.
He was rushed from the scene to Kerry General Hospital but later transferred to CUH where he never regained consciousness.

Tributes have poured in to the young player.

Chairman of the West Kerry Board and Brendan's former trainer John Lenihan said the whole community was devastated by the tragedy.

"Bawnie was a great sportsman who always loved training," Mr Lenihan told the Irish Independent.
Mr O'Driscoll is survived by his parents Vincent and Mary, brothers Jamie, Vincent and Micheal and sister Aisling.
(Source: Irish Independent)


Gardai in Athy are investigating a robbery at Tougher’s Service Station on the Kilkenny Road in the course of which a knife and sledgehammer were used to threaten staff.

The robbery occurred at approximately 9.30am last Monday 24 October and gardaí are seeking up to three men following the incident.

Sergeant Tom Harte of Athy gardaí told the Kildare Nationalist that there was one member of staff and one customer in the shop when two young men entered the store. They were described as being in their teens or early 20s and were wearing hoodies, as well as caps, which were used to cover their faces.

One of the men was carrying a sledgehammer and a knife was also produced in the incident. Cash was removed from both the till and a safe and was handed over to the men who then left the scene in a jeep. The jeep was later found abandoned at the rear of the Corran Ard estate.

Sergeant Harte said that a third man may have been driving the jeep and gardaí also suspect that a second vehicle may have been used after the jeep was abandoned.
(Source: The Kildare Nationalist)


The heir to the British throne looks set to visit the city next year. Secret talks have been taking place to bring Prince Charles, Prince of Wales and his wife, Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall to Kilkenny.

Staff at Kilkenny Castle had been expecting the Prince of Wales to visit the site before the end of the year but they were informed that it had to be postponed because of the Prince Regent’s busy schedule.

News of his imminent arrival will help to shore up the disappointment felt locally earlier this year when Queen Elizabeth opted to visit the Rock of Cashel and Coolmore Stud in Tipperary instead of Kilkenny on her first visit to this country.

The British Ambassador, Julian King was in the city on Thursday night for a black tie event hosted by Kilkenny man, Paul Smithwick at the Castle and it was disclosed that the Prince had requested that Kilkenny form part of his itinerary when he visits next year.

It emerged that the Prince of Wales’ closest confidant, the Marquis of Hartington, the heir to the Duke of Devonshire of Lismore Castle, will shortly pay a visit to Kilkenny Castle in advance of a visit by the man who is the longest serving heir to the British throne.
(Source: Kilkenny People)



More news stories from Ireland on IrishCentral

Woman escapes sex slavery after meeting Facebook friend

FBI releases papers on Russian Irish spies in US - ‘Ghost Stories’



A van carrying a family of three veered into the Vicarstown canal last week.

The vehicle came off the narrow road close to Athy last Wednesday evening at around 4.40pm.

Half of the van was in the water while the other half remained on the bank.

Emergency services responded and the three occupants, believed to be a family, according to local sources, were rescued from the vehicle.

Two were removed from the scene on spinal boards, but it is not believed serious injuries were sustained.

A local car recovery firm removed the van from the canal.
(Source: Laois Nationalist)


As part of an ongoing operation Gardaí in Co Leitrim have seized Cannabis plants with an estimated street value of over €400,000.

The discovery was made on Friday at 9.30am following a planned search at a warehouse at Gargrim, Kinlough. The operation involved Gardaí from Manorhamilton District, the Drug Unit/Task Force from Sligo and the Garda National Drugs Unit.

Two males were arrested at the scene and are currently detained at Manorhamilton Garda Station under Section 2 Criminal Justice (Drug Trafficking) Act 1996 and investigations are said to be continuing.
(Source: Leitrim Observer)


A Limerick man who kidnapped, threatened and robbed a woman at Colbert Station earlier this year will be sentenced later this week.

At Limerick Circuit Court, James Kelly, 22, of Maple Court, Kennedy Park pleaded guilty to falsely imprisoning Caroline Moran at Colbert Station on May 4, last.

Kelly, who is a chronic heroin addict, also pleaded guilty to hijacking her vehicle and to robbing more than €500 from her.

The court was told Kelly, who was armed with a knife, approached the victim as she returned to her car after travelling from Dublin to Limerick.

He forced himself into the car beside her and after taking €40 from her purse he held the knife to her throat and ordered her to drive to an ATM at the Roxboro Shopping Centre where he forced her to withdraw €500 from her account.

In her victim impact statement, Ms Moran said she has undergone counselling and is on medication due to the “shock and trauma” she experienced.

She said she could not work for several weeks after the incident and she told the court she has lost her self-confidence as a result of what happened.

The defendant, who has a string of previous convictions, will be sentenced on Thursday.
(Source: Limerick Leader)


A Dundalk man pleaded guilty to the assault of an Achill man and falsely imprisoning him and his wife in their home at a recent sitting of Castlebar Circuit Court.

Michael McMahon of 3 Ashlawn, The Loakers, Blackrock, pleaded guilty to assault causing harm to Seán Lavelle at the Tower Road, Dooagh, Achill on February 14, 2010.

Mr McMahon also pleaded guilty to the false imprisonment of Seán and Emer Lavelle in their home at the Tower Road, Dooagh on the same date.

The offences arising from the guilty plea occurred around 8.30pm on St Valentines Day when the couple were tied up and beaten in their home by two men.

However, the pair were forced to flee when they were disturbed by a neighbor and they were subsequently arrested at Owenduff Bridge between Mulranny and Tonragee at around 9.40pm.

The other person involved in the attack and arrested on the night was Mr McMahon’s late brother Seamus who was murdered in Dundalk in March 2010.

Seamus, aged 41, was shot on March 21, 2010 when two men entered a house at Bothar Croinn in Saltown, Dundalk where he was visiting a female friend.

Gardaí believe up to three men were involved in the attack, which occurred shortly before 7pm. The third man waited in a white hatchback and helped the two gunmen to escape from the scene of the crime.

The men who entered the apartment were described a tall and wearing dark coloured hooded tops. Sentencing of Michael McMahon was adjourned until January 16, 2012 after the production of a victim impact statement.
(Source: Dundalk Democrat)


A man who attacked a garda with a broken bottle in a ‘crazed’ attack had discharged himself from a mental health unit a week prior to the attack. During the attack, the man had to be tasered before he could be arrested.

Last week’s sitting of Castlebar Circuit Court heard that Henry Byrne (27) of Main Street, Cong, has been using drugs since he was eleven years old and has 93 previous convictions, the majority of which were for public order offences.

His sister, Ruth Byrne, told Judge Tony Hunt that Mr Byrne is a genuinely nice guy who is well liked in the community but who needed help.

Mr Byrne was arrested on August 8, 2010, following the attack on gardaí, which happened after they tried to arrest him in Claremorris for kicking wing mirrors off parked cars. He stripped off his upper clothing and lashed out at Garda Olga Treacy and threw punches at Garda Donal Raftery.

Mr Byrne was pepper-sprayed during the incident, but it had no effect on him. At one stage he ran from the gardaí, turning around to taunt ‘come and arrest me’.

Garda Treacy told Castlebar Circuit Court that Garda Raftery noticed he had one hand behind his back which contained a broken glass bottle. He threatened the gardaí with the bottle, but was eventually arrested after being tasered by the regional support unit. Garda Treacy agreed that he was very intoxicated and may have been under the influence of more than just alcohol.

Ms Ann-Marie Courell, BL for Mr Byrne, explained that on August 1, 2010, her client had been admitted to a mental-health unit after he had threatened to kill himself. Despite being considered a danger to himself and others he was allowed to discharge himself just a week prior to the incident in Claremorris.

The court heard that Mr Byrne was given his first taste of illegal drugs by a neighbour when he was just eleven and has been an addict since he was a teenager. He was also diagnosed as dyslexic and went to Garbally College in Ballinasloe, but his drug problem worsened.

Ms Byrne explained that when he was receiving treatment in the St Francis Farm treatment centre in Carlow he was drug free for a number of months before relapsing in the summer of 2010. She said that during that time he made things for their home and kept himself busy. She added that he was at an age where he knew he needed help to sort his life out.
(Source: The Mayo News)


An ancient stone which was part of the market cross of Navan now has been given pride of place at the local Solstice Arts Centre following its return from the National Museum on Monday 24th October.

Meath Local Authorities sought permission from the National Museum to exhibit the remains of the cross and, after much preparation, a loan agreement was reached which will see the stone on permanent display in its town of origin.

This late 16th century stone was found in 1849 by WF Wakeman at Trimgate Street, where it was used as a building stone in what was then a modern wall. It is 22 inches in height and eight inches square with depictions that include the Nangle coat of arms and an Elizabethan costume.

The Nangles were Barons of Navan and erected the market cross in the town, which was a common occurrence at the time, to indicate not only the location of the marketplace but also the place where people gathered to hear preachers, proclamations and public announcements.

Meath County Manager Tom Dowling said he is delighted to see the remains of the Navan cross back in Navan. "This stone is a reminder of times past and is part of the physical history of the town. it now has a home in Solstice, Navan's centre of culture, where it can be appreciated by everyone," he said.

Navan's Mayor, Cllr Anton McCabe, expressed satisfaction in the confidence bestowed on Navan by the National Museum in returning the stone.

"I look forward to many people from Navan and beyond visiting the Solstice Arts Centre to see the stone and learn about its history," he added.

The remains of the cross will be on permanent exhibition in a glass display case in the foyer of the arts centre and information panels will provide details on its history.
(Source: The Meath Chronicle)


A youth has been sent for trial on a charge of murder. Conor McClelland (19), Laragh, Castleblayney, Co Monaghan, appeared in custody at a sitting of Carrickmacross District Court last week charged with the murder of Gavin O’Connor (22), Kilmainhamwood, Lisdoonan, Co Monaghan, on June 4th.

Garda Insp Fintan McTiernan, Carrickmacross, prosecuting, told Judge Seán MacBride that he sought a custody order until trial on the murder charge in the Central Criminal Court.

Gerry Jones, defending, said Mr McClelland was pleading not guilty. The judge remanded the accused to custody.
(Source: Irish Times)


The body of missing Offaly man Michael Egan was found in the Shannon on Thursday.

The 24 year old had been missing since October 17 when he was last seen in the early hours of the morning on the Banagher to Cloghan road.

A large numbers of volunteers as well as sub aqua teams had taken part in the search for the Five Alley native.

His body was discovered near the old Green Isle factory downriver from Banagher.

He was brought to the marina where a short service took place before he was removed to the Midlands Regional Hospital in Tullamore.
(Source: Offaly Express)



More news stories from Ireland on IrishCentral

Woman escapes sex slavery after meeting Facebook friend

FBI releases papers on Russian Irish spies in US - ‘Ghost Stories’



The gardai is trying to establish how a woman fell to her death from a fairground ride outside the O2 arena in Dublin after attending a Britney Spears concert.

The deceased, who has been named as 31-year-old Siobhán Healy from Co Roscommon, fell from the Tip Top ride just before 11.30pm last Monday.

Garda sources said it appears Ms Healy fell from the ride and hit a part of the machinery, before falling to her death on the ground below in the Point Village.

The dead woman was from outside Ballinlough in Co Roscommon and was an only child. She is survived by her mother Doreen; her father is dead.

A Garda source said the ride from which Ms Healy fell was fitted with safety bars and hat it remains unclear how or indeed if this system had failed and resulted in the fatal fall.

“We’re examining if the safety bar was working properly and engaged properly or if somehow came out from behind it and fell. We simply don’t know yet exactly what happened,” said one source.

Gardaí have appealed for a man using a camera phone to record the funfair ride at the time of the accident to come forward.

Ms Healy, who was living in Dublin, was pronounced dead at the scene and the area where she fell and the Tip Top ride were sealed off.

They were examined by members of the Garda Technical Bureau. Investigators from the Health and Safety Authority are also investigating the matter.

Councillor Michael McGreal, a neighbour and family friend, said the local community in Ballinlough was “shocked”.

The ride from which Ms Healy fell was run by funfair operator Kenneth McFadden, owner of McFadden’s Entertainment. Mr McFadden said he was devastated for the woman’s family.

“We can’t say [what happened], it all happened so quick,” he said.

“We are just in bits at the moment. We are just devastated.”
(Source: Irish Times)


A young man who flung a bar stool over a partition in a nightclub during "horse play", striking an elderly woman on the hand, was fined €750 by Judge Kevin Kilrane at Sligo District Court.

Charged with assault causing harm on October 9th last at Mary Ann Nightclub, Enniscrone was Karl Murphy ( 20), 7 Woodlands, Enniscrone. The defendant was represented by Mr. Mark Mullaney, solicitor.

The court was told a stool was thrown over a partition catching the hand of Mrs. Peggy Ford before landing on a table and smashing glasses. Mrs. Ford had been out with her family celebrating her grand-daughter's 21st birthday.

Mrs. Ford told the court that the stool broke bones in her left hand and she didn't have great power in it now. She couldn't straighten her hand and it was painful in cold weather.
(Source: The Sligo Champion)


Concern over the Minor Works Grant for Primary Schools was raised at last week’s meeting of North Tipperary County Council. Fianna Fáil Councillor Seamus Hanafin told the meeting “our primary schools are already being run on a shoestring - there is no spare money, and now there is uncertainty over the payment of Minor Works Grant. The Department of Education issued a circular in June telling schools that the availability and level of the grant would be not be decided until the autumn. It is unacceptable that schools still haven’t been informed how much of a grant, if any, they will receive”.
(Source: Tipperary Star)


A County Tyrone farmer has spoken of his relief after he managed to prevent more than 60 piglets from drowning in floodwater.

Andy Maxwell's farm in Clady, outside Strabane, was one of the worst affected in the floods that swamped Northern Ireland.

The worst hit areas in the region were Sion Mills, Clady, Strabane and its neighbouring border town of Lifford in Co Donegal.

In dramatic scenes Mr Maxwell, his son Colin and 15-year-old grandson, Jason, were forced to launch a six- hour night-time rescue operation in 4ft of water.

The livestock farmer said the flooding was the worst he has seen since moving onto his Bellspark Road farm in 1964.
(Source: Belfast Telegraph)


A waterford couple escaped with their lives after a holiday to Portugal almost ended in disaster when the roof of a section of Faro Airport collapsed following a tornado.

Amy Cunningham and her husband Laurence, from Passage East, were among a group of passengers waiting to catch their flight home from Faro Airport at 5am last Monday morning when the roof of the departure lounge collapsed, seriously injuring a number of people.

“We are lucky to be alive,” a shaken Amy told the Waterford News & Star from Faro.

She said a loud bang echoed through the building before the roof collapsed on top of them, witha number of people badly injured in the terrifying incident.

Amy managed to escape the brunt of the collapsing material after positioning herself between two iron bars, which debris landed on. She injured her knee in the chaos but was thankful things weren’t worse.

“It was the most horrendous experience I’ve ever had. I’m not the better of it, it’s like something your would see in a film. We all ran and huddled in the loo until security came to get us out.
(Source: Waterford News & Star)



More news stories from Ireland on IrishCentral

Woman escapes sex slavery after meeting Facebook friend

FBI releases papers on Russian Irish spies in US - ‘Ghost Stories’



A young Meath man has admitted killing 63-year-old Athlone man Martin O'Gorman who died from head injuries last year.

Jonathan Smith (19), Windtown Crescent, Navan, pleaded guilty at Trim Circuit Court last Tuesday to the unlawful killing of Martin O'Gorman at Academy Street, Navan, on June 21, 2010.

Mr O'Gorman had been found lying on the roadway at Academy Street by a taxi man in the early hours of Monday June 21 last year but died later from his injuries at the Beaumont Hospital in Dublin.

The victim was an avid football fan had been socialising in Navan following Meath's victory over Laois in Tullamore in last year's Leinster Championship.

Judge Michael O'Shea remanded Smith in custody in Cloverhill Prison to appear in court again on January 31 next and directed that a Probation and Welfare Report and a Governor's Report be prepared on the accused in the meantime.
(Source: Westmeath Independent)


A Wexford man, arrested after a garda investigation in to the activity of dissident republicans, has pleaded guilty to explosives and firearms charges.

Nicholas Kendall (aged 21) of Row Street, in Wexford, pleaded guilty to the unlawful possession of an explosive substance at Barntown, Co Wexford on October 8, 2010.

He also pleaded guilty to the possession semi-automatic pistol at Dunleer, Co Louth on October 8, 2008.

Presiding judge Mr Justice Paul Butler remanded Kendall in custody for sentencing on November 23 next.
(Source: The Irish Times)


The grieving girlfriend of hero Garda Ciaran Jones has said she will continue to love him.

Clare Kennedy, a niece of RTE presenter Mary Kennedy, said Ciaran's death had left them heartbroken.

Ciaran (25) was swept to his death in the River Liffey at the Ballysmuttan Bridge near his home in Manor Kilbride, Co Wicklow, as he came to the aid of motorists during torrential rain.

His body was found last Tuesday morning some 4km downstream from where he entered the water.

Ciaran's mother and father Brenda and John, brother Alan and sister Michelle, as well as his girlfriend Clare were the chief mourners.

Taoiseach Enda Kenny and Justice Minister Alan Shatter also attended the packed funeral Mass at St Brigid's Church in Ciaran's home village.

Also there to pay their respects was Garda Commissioner Martin Callinan as well as many of the force's top officials, the President's representative Commandant Michael Walsh, and Brian Purcell, the Secretary General of the Department of Justice.

In a moving tribute to Garda Jones, an inter county Gaelic football star for Wicklow, the deceased's girlfriend Ms Kennedy told mourners of "the pride of Kilbride".

Addressing the packed church, she said she maintained a diary as a schoolgirl and told how on Thursday night she had gone through her writings to try to find something to say.

Fighting back her emotions, she read a passage from February 28, 2003, when the then schoolgirl had recorded how Ciaran -- "the untouchable 5th year" -- had begun sending text messages to her.
"News of the century...I think he likes me," the diary entry ended, she said.

"Months later Ciaran told me he was going to phone me for the first time and I had written down a list of topics for a conversation should we run out of things to talk about, but we didn't need them, we were never stuck for words.

"Now I would write 'thank you for the last eight years... I loved you...and I will continue to love you'."
She added: "Our hearts are broken but I have no doubt he will continue to protect us...he was the pride of Kilbride."

(Source: Evening Herald)



More news stories from Ireland on IrishCentral

Woman escapes sex slavery after meeting Facebook friend

FBI releases papers on Russian Irish spies in US - ‘Ghost Stories’