The whereabouts of some of the Kurdish migrants who were discovered in a ship at Rosslare Port last week are not known
Some of the Kurdish migrants who were discovered last week on a ship traveling from Cherbourg, France, to Rosslare, Co Wexford, are understood to have left the Dublin direct provision accommodations they were placed.
Read More: Two teens among 16 Kurds found in truck on Ireland bound ship
One of the juvenile members of the group that was discovered, however, is in the care of Tusla, Ireland’s child and family agency, according to The Irish Examiner.
On Thursday, November 21, a group of migrants was discovered in a truck on a ship, owned by Stena Line, at Rosslare Port in Co Wexford after having traveled from Cherbourg in France. The group of 16 males, one of whom is a juvenile, was found to be in good health. They were placed into direct provision accommodations in Dublin while most reportedly sought asylum.
While gardaí were contacted after some of the migrants vanished from the Dublin provision center over the weekend, Ireland's Department of Justice has since said that the migrants were under no obligation to remain in State accommodations.
A spokesperson from Ireland’s Department of Justice said on Sunday: “The Department of Justice does not comment on individual cases, and has a legal obligation to protect the identity and privacy of any person or persons who make a claim for international protection.
“The system of Direct Provision is in place to offer food, shelter and ancillary services to persons seeking international protection.
“It is not compulsory, and persons who arrive seeking asylum are offered accommodation by the State while their cases are being considered, but are not obliged to take up the offer.
“On a point of information, in Ireland people who are seeking international protection are not detained.
“An applicant who accepts an offer of accommodation can decide to leave that accommodation at any point, should they choose to do so.”
Read More: 16 people discovered in refrigerated trailer on route to Ireland
The Irish Times reports: “Garda sources said it was very likely the nine men who are now missing from the reception centre they were sent to in Dublin had left in a bid to resume their efforts to get to Britain.
“This, sources said, may involve stowing away on trucks being taken to Britain on a car ferry from Dublin or Northern Ireland, or even attempting to make the journey as foot passengers. The men could also travel to the North and seek asylum there in the hope of eventually being granted status and moving to Britain.
"Indeed, while the whereabouts of the men is now unknown, by disappearing from the centre they have broken no laws or even any rules of the international protection system."