The jewelry of Irish American heiress, Huguette Clark has been sold for over $21 million, at Christie's auction house at Rockefeller Center, New York.
Christie’s said the collection of Cartier and Tiffany jewelry attracted bidders from across the world. The jewels had been recovered from the bank vault of the millionaire heiress.
“They were all in this original boxes, in this bank vault, since the 1940s," auctioneer Kadakia, head of jewelry for Christie's, said on the TODAY TV.
"It was like chasing a rainbow and you had this big pot of gold at the end. It was fantastic," Kadakia added.
The most prized item was a belle epoque cushion-cut vivid purplish pink 9-carat diamond ring by Dreicer & Co, circa 1910, which sold for almost $16 million.
The collection of 17 vintage pieces was expected to bring in between $9million to $12million, but many of Clarke’s stunning possessions sold well in excess of their estimated.
Here are just some of the highlights:
• A pair of early 20th century emerald, natural pearl and diamond ear pendants by Cartier fetched $104,500 .
• An art deco emerald and diamond bracelet by Cartier, circa 1925, sold for double its estimate, at $110,500 .
• A single-strand pearl and diamond necklace by Tiffany & Co fetched $362,500 - over eight times Christie's estimate.
• A diamond, ruby and sapphire American flag brooch by Cartier sold for $80,500.
• An art deco jade, diamond and silk evening bag, circa 1925, sold for $13,750.
• A Cartier diamond ring, weighing approximately 19.86-carats, sold for over $3.1million.
• An art deco diamond bracelet by Cartier, circa 1925, sold for $578,500.
Clark, who passed away in May of last year, aged 104, led a notoriously reclusive existence. She was the last surviving child of U.S. Sen. William Andrews Clark (1839-1925), who built his fortune from mining copper and railroads.
She withdrew from public life in her twenties and spent her last years in Beth Israel Medical Center.
Her fifth avenue vast apartment, which overlooks Central Park was sold for an undisclosed price last month.
View the highlights from Huguette Clark’s collection here.