Irish American second grader Makenzie Sheehan's family home burnt to the ground on St. Patrick's Day - and the family can thank the 7-year-old for saving their lives.

MaKenzie Sheehan was honored this week for her brave, fast thinking actions as she is credited with saving her family as their Monroe home burnt to the ground. 

The schoolgirl received the State Fire Marshal's Award of Excellence in Fire and Life Safety at a ceremony in her hometown.

The youngster had woken up just after 4 a.m on St. Patrick's Day to flames and smoke starting to fill the bedroom she shared with her sister McKenna.

“I said, “McKenna, wake up!’” MaKenzie said. The second grader said that she recalled from fire training at her school that she should not touch the door as it would be too hot. 

The children screamed  for help, waking up their mother's fiancé Jesse.

MaKenzie Sheehan, 7, is being honored for saving her family as their Monroe home burned to the ground. Hear from this brave little lady at 11pm on @WMUR9 via @SlopezWMUR pic.twitter.com/PYreJGm7nk

— WMUR TV (@WMUR9) April 24, 2018

Their mother, Marie Sheehan, told New Hampshire news channel WMur9 that in a mere five minutes, their home burnt to the ground.

MaKenzie's grandmother Delia Ward, who also lived with the family, told the news station that they lost everything in the tragedy.

Read More: Pregnant woman loses husband and home in tragic Boston fire

“Everything. Everything. We had the slippers on our feet and pajamas," she said.

“MaKenzie did all the right things, and it shows that education works,” New Hampshire Fire Marshal Bill Degnan told the outlet.

Degnan said this instance is another example of why parents need to make sure their children know what to do and where to go in the event of a fire.

Read More: Irish band save 8 month old baby and 11 others from house fire in Atlantic City

“At times, during an emergency, you're going to get separated, especially in the smoke and excitement of things,” he said.

When the seven-year-old was asked if she has some advice for those facing life-threatening situations by The Caledonian Record newspaper, she responded

“Scream for help."

Read More: Limerick fire fighters save puppy hurt in house fire with CPR

MaKenzie Sheehan talks to a news reporter in the wake of the fireTwitter.com