The family of Michaela McAreavey has hit out at investigative authorities on the holiday island of Mauritius.

They said that they are growing increasingly frustrated by the slow progress of criminal proceedings into 27-year-old Michaela’s murder on the island in the Indian Ocean.

Michaela, daughter of the Co. Tyrone GAA manager Mickey Harte, was found strangled in her room at the luxury Legends Hotel during her honeymoon on the island in January 2011. She had just married Down footballer John McAreavey.

On Tuesday, the Harte and McAreavey families issued a joint statement to mark the second anniversary of the beginning of the trial of two men accused of Michaela’s murder.

They said they were more determined now than ever that justice will be done, but are strongly critical of the lack of progress made in Mauritius in bringing criminal proceedings.

The families said they have been particularly disappointed by the reluctance of the Mauritian authorities to keep them updated with developments.

They said: “It was promised by the Mauritian Prime Minister that justice would be done and would be seen to be done in this case.

“However as time marches on and the criminal proceedings seem to have ground to a halt, this promise is ringing hollow.”

The statement said they are hoping that a settlement can soon be reached in civil proceedings with the hotel in Mauritius where Michaela was murdered.

Michaela, from Ballygawley, Co. Tyrone, married McAreavey just 12 days before her murder. She was buried in her wedding dress.

The couple were celebrating their marriage at the Legends Hotel when McAreavey found his bride dead in the bathtub of their room. She had gone back to their room from a poolside restaurant to get biscuits.

When she did not return her husband went to the room and found her body. She had been strangled. Police said she was murdered after disturbing thieves in her room.

Five hotel workers were arrested over the murder before two were charged but cleared during a marathon trial at the island’s Supreme Court in the capital city of Port Louis in summer 2012.