Mark Wahlberg let it slip to Mario Lopez on “Extra” that he is considering making a sequel to his Oscar winning film “The Fighter.” Wahlberg, who starred in and produced the film, suggested that there's a possibility of telling the next chapter in the lives of the pride of Lowell Irish Micky Ward and his trainer and half-brother Dicky Eklund.
He said, "Now, we’re gonna talk about doing number two. We’re gonna do the Ward/Gatti trilogy and make it real."
Three times in 2002 and 2003, Ward fought Arturo Gatti, his fiercest opponent. He won in the first fight but lost in the final two.
Wahlberg even suggested that Lopez play Gatti. He said, "And you know what? You may want to play Gatti."
Walhberg said he was delighted to be at the Oscars. He told Lopez, "'It's crazy. We're just thrilled to be here. I told my wife, as a guy, you don't just want to go to the finals, you want to win."
The accounts also seem to suggest that a sequel to "The Fighter" could be a real possibility. So far "The Fighter" has already made $90 million in the box office in the U.S. alone.
On Sunday evening Christian Bale and Melissa Leo both walked away with Oscars for their supporting roles.
Lowell police Sergeant Mickey O’Keefe, Ward’s trainer who played himself in the movie, said Bale "gave everyone their due.” during his acceptance speech.
He said, "Christian is an intense guy, but really cares about the people around him."
Belfast priest outraged at plans to show satanic films in Catholic church