The actors working on the Broadway musical “Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark” have asked that the show be shut down before anyone else is hurt.
The group joined forces to voice their feelings following an accident on Monday night when stuntman, Christopher Tierney’s safety harness malfunctioned as he jumped from a platform during a stunt. Tierney plummeted 30 feet into the orchestra as the audience at the rehearsal screamed in horror.
He was rushed to hospital and is said to be in a “serious condition” having suffered multiple broken ribs and substantial bleeding.
Speaking to Seacoastonline his brother, Patrick, said that he has undergone back surgery. He said “I don't know when he'll be back on stage if at all', Patrick said.
The actors from the musical left comments about the incident and previous incidents on their Facebook and Twitter pages. Tony Award winning actress Alice Ripley tweeted 'Does someone have to die? Where is the line for the decision makers, I am curious?'
Former “Rent” leading man Adam Pascal said “'They should put Julie Taymore [producer] in jail for assault. I hope [Tierney is ok and sues the s*** out of Julie, Bono, Edge and every other a**hole who invested in that steaming pile of actor crippling s***.”
“Spider Man” actress Natalie Mendoza suffered a concussion during the show on December 2. She has not returned to work. After Tierney’s accident she tweeted “Please pray with me for my friend Chris, my superhero who quietly inspires me everyday with his spirit. A light in my heart went dim tonight.”
The Actor’s Equity Association said, initially, they found that Tierney’s accident “was in fact human error” according to the New York Post.
Questions are now being raised as to whether the show should be allowed continue at all. The show has so far cost $65 million and is the most expense in Broadway history.
Adele’s “Hello” sung as Gaeilge is just stunning (VIDEO)